The ways of the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ways of the track

This was a question I had for those who are track-goers. I have never been to a track, and am not sure how things work there. Do I just show up with money? Also, how does the staging and all of that work? I have searched, and heard things for specifics, but not the generals. Or should I just go and watch and see how the track works? Or am I just really confused?

-Justin
    <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

I reccomend going one night just to watch it and see how it goes...

but things to do...

Drive up, I reccomend early, line starts forming outside my track ~30-45 minutes before they open. Jsut sit around and B.S. with other guys about car...

-Have exact money for entrance fee

-Where long pants and shoes(its required many some tracks are lax about it some are not)

-Driver's license, sometimes they ask for mine usually no, but I am 22 and look 25

-Bring a pen, you have to fill out a form about your car, number, etc... I go to the track all the time and I forget it sometimes as well.

-Guy says you need a helmet, tell him, no I have a v6 its slow, I don't need one

-Argue with guy its a v6, then pop hood and make him look stupid

-drive up to staging lanes, pop hood, wait in line. Or go to pits and do any work you need to do(if its reall minor you coudl probably do it in staging lanes, but don't change wheels or anything)

There are usually 3 man sets of lanes, here.. the first 2 lanes are fore 13.99 and faster cars, usually on slicks, then 4 lanes of street cars, then 1 lane for Motorcycles

You will be in the street car lanes.

-keep your windows down a crack(peopel always lock their keys in their car at track), lock up valuables in glove box

-You can ice your motor if you want and wait for them to finish track prep.

-Guy will point to your car when you need to go, and point you to a lane. DRIVE AROUND the water box, if you want a little burnout, back up, not into the water box but where there is a little run off from where the water got dragged out, do a quick brunout, put a little heat in the tire, and clean it off, no need for a 20 second burnout on street tires.

-pull up to the line, there are 2 lights on the top of the tree. The first one is the first sensor on the line, the 2nd is the 2nd sensor at the line, as you pull up you need both to be on, they are very close to each other so jsut in. forward, or you will go to far and have to back up.

-Then lights will will count down and go green hit the gas and go...

-Keep it floored past the signs, look for a Win light if you won.

-Some tracks have more then one turnoff... at the end if you missed the first one usually there is a second one, DO NOT TURN AROUND ON THE TRACK!(Yes people actualy do this at my track)

-There will be a little road, look for a booth, follow the other cars before you and they will give you a timeslip then make your way back to the lines

THINGS NOT TO DO AT DRAGSTRIP!

-Drive threw burnout box(drags water all over start line)
    -rev your motor to impress people(its a race track, people are not impressed that you have a car with an aftermarket exhaust)
    -lock your keys in your car
    -kill your battery by running a fan switch for 45 min.(though all car guys, most people strip everything out of their car including cables for weight reduction)
    -Blaring sh|tty music
    -Walk away to watch other cars race or to look at other cars, while the lines are moving, you will be blocking an entire lane and piss off lots of people

Thats all I have off the top of my head.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, MustangEater!

-Justin
      <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

Another good idea is to park your car and watch for a little while before you get into the staging lanes. This will give you an idea of how things work.

Eric forgot the #1 thing to always do at the track - HAVE FUN! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

if you want a little burnout, back up, not into the water box but where there is a little run off from where the water got dragged out, do a quick brunout, put a little heat in the tire, and clean it off, no need for a 20 second burnout on street tires.
          All good advice except this one. At my track at least you do not go into the water box AT ALL with treaded tires. Street tires don't need a burnout and you will throw water everywhere with your treads. Only cars with slicks should burn out. Of course I guess this could vary track to track.

If you take street tires into the burnout box at the track I goto you won't be to popular.
          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

If the turn offs are on the left side, the car in the left lane has the right of way.

If the turn offs are on the right side, the car in the right lane has the right of way.
            2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

I also read that when you are staging, when the pre-stage light comes on, that means you are 7 inches from the start line, so pull up very slowly until the stage light comes on. Then you just wait for the yellow-green and hit the gas.
              I will be heading out to the track tonight for the first time as well.
              New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
              RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
              crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
              The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by mjparme:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> if you want a little burnout, back up, not into the water box but where there is a little run off from where the water got dragged out, do a quick brunout, put a little heat in the tire, and clean it off, no need for a 20 second burnout on street tires.
                All good advice except this one. At my track at least you do not go into the water box AT ALL with treaded tires. Street tires don't need a burnout and you will throw water everywhere with your treads. Only cars with slicks should burn out. Of course I guess this could vary track to track.

If you take street tires into the burnout box at the track I goto you won't be to popular.
                </font>[/QUOTE]not sure you read my thing right...

I didn't say go into the burnout box in the puddle, but there is a little dragged out every time someone uses the buronut box(esppecially the FWD guys with slicks) I say use that not the actual divit where the puddle is. The ground is wet but not wet enough to splash or spray water...

I do it because I figure its a littlel less violent the breaking the tires loose on a vht prepped part of the track.

Comment

I say use that not the actual divit where the puddle is. The ground is wet but not wet enough to splash or spray water...
                  Oh ok, got you now...sorry about that.
                  SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

also i would say dont worry about your oponent. Just worry about your car. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
                      also i would say dont worry about your oponent. Just worry about your car. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      If its anythign like my track... I will be sitting at the line they will line upt liek 20 imports that run similar times as me but hold me up then when a ls1, or highly modded lt1 comes up let me pull out and race them..

Comment

If you have a convertible, BRING A HELMET, no matter what your ET is. Some tracks don't care, some do.
                        01 Camaro A4 Convertible

Comment

Even with a hard top you should take a helmet..My track requires a Snell 95 or higher approved helmet regardless of E.T. But then again convertables can only run at my track with full roll cages. I still would take a helmet
                          97 RS,3.73 LSD,Flowmaster,Shift Kit,Edge TC,HP Tuners,EWP,SLP CAI,160*,Touchscreen monitor,& Alpine Stereo(155.2dB)15.27 N/A 1.9X 60\'s and a magic switch.

Comment

Always, always, always wear a helmet when racing. You're a ****ing moron if you don't... and if you're so dumb you don't use one then your brain isn't worth protecting anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X