Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• launching an M5 3.8???

hey gang,
    i have a friend who is tryin to improve his track times a bit. right now his biggest problem is in teh first 60ft. what kind of rpm are you guys leaving from? any technique tips?
    the car has 275 tires on ss wheels, so it has a bit more traction than stock(still a peg leg, so not much).

thanks
    tim
    NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

I have a stock one, with stock tires etc. I can do a no spin launch a little above 3,000 and i get a 2.25 60 ft. With that sive tire i would try and feather out at 3,500rpm no spin, that will net a good 60ft.
    2002 M5 camaro- VTR CAI, custom cat-back exhaust, battery compacitor, pullie, lowering springs, 32mm sway bar, cross-drilled slotted rotars. 1-10\" L7 in cubby.

Comment

pop it at 5K [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
      This revelation, is the death of ignorance...<br /><a href=\"http://www.quicktimeperformance.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.quicktimeperformance.com</a>

Comment

I left at 2500 any more and my pegleg 3.23 would spin. tell him to slip the clutch a little from 3000 let the car roll a little and gun it. That is just about the same technique for launching my car ( only I launch at a surge between 5200 and 5700 )
        91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

i'm running stock engine & wheels, m5, 3.23, LSD, and pull 2.0-2.1 60' consistantly...no water box ever, no burnouts before the run.

when the white ready light comes on, floor the pedal, when the middle yellow lights up, dump the clutch. i get a bit of spin, but not much...

--matt

Comment

I had been dumping the clutch at like 2000-2500 for a while, and it was a great technique for bracket racing because it was very consistent, but it only gave me 2.2-2.4 60 foot times.

Then, at the american iron shootout, I tried feathering the clutch out at 3000 rpms, and I finally got 60 foot times in the 2.0's.

So, I'd say to feather it from 3000.
            All gone :(<br />Best ET ever: 14.3 (I think)<br />----------------------------<br />Check out my site for exhaust clips, burnouts, and pictures, and the supercharger throttle body mod.<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/net_addict/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">Click on the Firebird</a>

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try 3000 and see how it goes. My first run a couple of weeks ago was 16.5 @ 86. Plan on running again on Nov 1. Just ordered new Centerforce dual friction clutch too and hope to have it installed by then.
              Current Mods: SS Rims, CPR Boxed LCAs, Whisper Lid, SLP Underchin Ram Air, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 235/60/15 BFG DRs, Monster Tach w/ shift light, posi w/3.23<br /><br />Future Mods: Ultra-Z hood, 4.10s, Y-pipe back exhaust, !CAT, Battery Relo, Custom programming

Comment

Remember, DONT DUMB THE CLUTCH!. That is very important. You need to feather it out, i have it up at 3k and start the feather and gradually increase the gas, by the time that i am fully off the clutch i am about 3.5k. This method is very good. When i did it at the track, and messed it up pretty bad on my bone stock non Y86 i pulled a 2.25 with no burn out. If you have a bigger contact patch, do a burn out, and pull the start right a 2.2-2.15 is more than within your reach, and that is without LSD.
                2002 M5 camaro- VTR CAI, custom cat-back exhaust, battery compacitor, pullie, lowering springs, 32mm sway bar, cross-drilled slotted rotars. 1-10\" L7 in cubby.

Comment

Well, Virginia pulled off a best of 15.567 @ 89.12 with a 60ft of 2.218 tonight on the second run. Believe it or not, on my best time I bounced the rev limiter on first gear. Feathering at 3000 rpm seems to have worked but I am running on a worn stock clutch. Will soon have centerforce installed and hope to get around 2.0 60ft. Thanks for your help everyone.

Full slips...
                  R/T .105 .053 -.027
                  60 2.214 2.218 2.289
                  330 6.524 6.511 6.584
                  1/8 10.083 10.011 10.148
                  MPH 68.52 69.91 68.53
                  990 13.060 12.948 13.137
                  1/4 15.704 15.567 15.790
                  MPH 88.43 89.12 88.12
                  Current Mods: SS Rims, CPR Boxed LCAs, Whisper Lid, SLP Underchin Ram Air, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 235/60/15 BFG DRs, Monster Tach w/ shift light, posi w/3.23<br /><br />Future Mods: Ultra-Z hood, 4.10s, Y-pipe back exhaust, !CAT, Battery Relo, Custom programming

Comment

Not a problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      4 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X