M5 owners with drags step in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 owners with drags step in!

Ok, I'm having a heck of a time launching with my drag radials (nittos on 15x8 weld draglites). I'm pulling 2.1 60s on them. I can do better than that on streets!! Obviously clutch play is totally different and I haven't figured it out yet. Any manual guys have any advice for me?
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

I put some buddies nittos on mine and had a 2.3 60ft. He told me that I had to warm them up really good. I burned out for about 8s and that wasn't long enough. So on my next run I burnout a lot more and my 60ft was 2.1. Then I found out that we put the drags on backward [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just make sure you get them nice and warm [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    2000 turbo/intercooled M5 Black Firebird<br />349.5hp and 415.3tq @ 4400rpms

Comment

I still ahven't ever hooked up good with mine [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      2.2 is my best, I burn the **** out of them.

trick is clutch slip control, gotta work on that but never have time to go to the track...........

Comment

now, i know every car is different, and clutches are going to be more or less sensitive depending on wear and tear.
        I've found that i launch best up around 3000 rpm, with a very slight feathering of the clutch. not a straight drop, but enough to let the rpm's rise to about 3500, then when the clutch is fully disengaged, it hits at about 3000 rpm with a dead hook. I'm still working with it (open diff and LSD are two totally different animals), but that's what works best for me.
        edit : oops, this is on street tires BTW. I normally cut 2.1x 60's with that combo. I'd say though you could try doing the same method, but at 3500-4000 with the drags on and see good/better results.

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: navyblue2000 ]</p>
        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

yeah pretty similar to waht navyblue said, except on my old clutch I used to rev it at 4500, rpms, let it slip a little, for like a seocnd then dump it and I woudl usually dead hook or a teenie bit of slip, and manage my 2.0-2.15 60's on street tires.

But new clutch grips much better, I think it will help me alot in my 1st-2nd shift, but the launch may be harder whicyh means I need more practice =/

Can't have it all.

Comment

I know how to launch pretty well on street tires. I can pull 2.0 60s all day on streets. Thanks for your replies but please read the question. What about launching with drag radials ??? It's obviously different than launching with street tires. I take my technique for launching streets and apply it to a higher rpm for the drags, and I'm cutting 2.1 and 2.2 60s, so there must be a different technique for it. Can anybody help?

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: 96BeastV6 ]</p>
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

hard to say I guess jsut heat the hell out of them, what psi do you keep them at?

is this at OSW? Some nights I spin more easlily then I do on sand in the street do to lack of track prep.

Comment

This is at Gainesville. They do a pretty solid job of keeping the track surface in shape there. Great track.

Comment

I had the 245/50/16's and would have them at 21 psi. Heat them up real good. I would tach it up to 2700 and i had my nitrous armed and window switch set at 2800.... launched on the juice and dead hooked everytime. low 1.7's on the nittos.

And I dont know what tiago's problem is....he has my old ones, so i know they hook! He just doesnt know how to launch! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Rich D ]</p>
                  Rich <br />02 Trans-Am WS6<p>01 Lightning #3576 *Retired*

Comment

i pulled a 2.1 60' on street tires that and i didnt burn out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      4 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X