Still no difference after all the mods..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no difference after all the mods.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no difference after all the mods.....

Last year around late October or early November I took my car to the track to see how it ran. The car was stock and my best time was 16.4. Now I've put in a whisper lid,the ghetto ram air, K&N filter, 3" catalytic converter, a cat-back exhaust, and flowmaster. I also changed out the stock thermostat for the 180. Anyways I took it to the track on Friday and my best freakin time was still a 16.4. I couldn't believe it!! :mad: My friend says it was because it was colder last time but I just feel like I threw all this money into the car but it didnt do sh*t!! Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to reset the cars computer somehow or what happened here? Some guy at the track also told me to get some kind of a resistor or capacitor for the sensor after the whisper lid. He said it really made a difference on his car. He showed it to me and said I could get it at any radio shack real cheap. Can anyone explain this a little better to me and how its done???? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    1999 Firebird (black)<br />Y87 package<br />Whisper lid<br />FRA<br />Raised airbox<br />K & N Filter<br />Removed MAF screen<br />180 thermostat<br />3\" catalytic converter<br />Cat-back exhaust<br />Flowmaster<br />\"Fool you can bet, that I can dance underwater and not get wet\"

my brother did this mod to his car (2002 mustang). its called a potentiometer. something like $2.50. you have to get into your wiring nd solder the wires to this thing. With this installed, you can crank it up or turn it down. when its all the way up, you better make sure 1.its cold and 2. you have premium gas in there! What it does is trick the computer into thinking colder air is coming in, thus advancing the timing. they sell it on ebay also and call it a "performance chip" for like $11.00 (ripoff). btw, gas milage goes [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] . oh well
    [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
    A4 :( ws6 hood, magnaflow cat-back, Pewter ppg paint, red calipers w/ decals, t-tops, chrome wheels, cutout, bald rear right tire (3.42 w/o lsd)

Comment

Post the specifics of your time slip and we can help you more.
      You also list a catback exhaust and a flowmaster. So which one is it? You really can't have both, unless it is a catback with a flowmaster muffler.
      What gears do you have? Is it an auto or M5? What tires? Elevation? Do you have limited slip?

Please elaborate and we can help you more.

Scott

Comment

You make it sound like you have been to the track twice

That's your problem

If you have an auto, my guess would be bad launches.

If you have a manual, I would guess bad launches and shifting.

No offense, but you likely need practice.

Your 60' should be right around 2.2 (max) and there should be no wheel spin on your launch.
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Way to be ignorant and scare him away.

Comment

Sounds like the temp. and humidity to me. It makes a difference. Do you know the temp. it was the first time you ran(back in Oct. Nov.) and the most recent time. Also, I noticed that you have the free ram air mod. I have no dyno to support this, but your car is sucking up hot air from your radiator. I had the free ram air mod, and I was running slower than I should have been. So, I blocked off the air with a piece of alum. that i cut to fit perfect below my air filter. I raised my air box up and my car has regained it's power. I no longer pull the hot air from the radiator, I'm pulling in cooler air, so that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img] So, if you want the ram air effect without pulling up hot air, you probably need to buy one of the kits from fast toys or slp.

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: Guardiannknight ]</p>
            2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
            5 speed
            Project: Unreal
            Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
            2007 Chevy Aveo 5
            Mods K&N air filter:excited:
            www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

You definitely have to consider the wind, air temperature, humidity, and your engine temperature when you make the comparison. I am not sure what type of improvement you are expecting, but on my 2nd Gen T/A, the E.T. can vary by 3 tenths between a warm day a and a cold one. In addition, cool down time between passes greatly affects the E.T. I always score my best ET's in November when the air is cold.

Who knows what affect the wind can have? Were you driving into a headwind the second time, or did you have a tailwind the first time?

Not only that, make sure your track is using the same timing system. I have left a track in the fall and some back in the spring and everyone I know was slower (or faster) in MPH and/or ET.

Did you race the same track both times? Believe it or not, not all dragstrips give you the same ET, since they may not be exactly flat.

With the mods you have applied, I feel there should have been some SOTP improvements. If you can tell its there, its there. Before you get too pissed, try again in November.
              1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

"Post the specifics of your time slip and we can help you more.
                You also list a catback exhaust and a flowmaster. So which one is it? You really can't have both, unless it is a catback with a flowmaster muffler.
                What gears do you have? Is it an auto or M5? What tires? Elevation? Do you have limited slip?"

Ok here go my specifics for last year:

reaction: .733
                I1: 2.297

E.T.: 16.443
                MPH: 82.822

Now here are the ones for this past Friday:

reaction: .771
                I1: 2.246

E.T.: 16.434
                MPH: 82.730

Also what I have is a cat-back exhaust w/ a flowmaster muffler. I don't know what gears I have but I'm pretty sure its the Y87 package. My car is an automatic, tires are Yokohama Avid V4 245/50, and yes I do have limited slip.

Now as per strobhen's comment about me only having been to the track twice, well thats incorrect. I've been to the track quite a few times but I really thought that with all these new modifications I would really see more improvement. I'm launching at about 2000-2500 rpms but I'm still spinning my tires. Anyways so does the computer need to be reset somehow so that it adjusts to these mods or does it do it automatically? Someone told me to remove some fuses and wait a few minutes then to install them again and it would reset, but I don't know which ones. Anyone heard about this?
                1999 Firebird (black)<br />Y87 package<br />Whisper lid<br />FRA<br />Raised airbox<br />K & N Filter<br />Removed MAF screen<br />180 thermostat<br />3\" catalytic converter<br />Cat-back exhaust<br />Flowmaster<br />\"Fool you can bet, that I can dance underwater and not get wet\"

Comment

Oh by the way I am 3,710 feet above sea level. In the middle of the desert. Friday night it was probably in the low 70's but I know when I raced last year it was colder.

Comment

moving to racing forum
                    Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                    "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                    http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

???????????????????????????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X