2nd time at the track...much improved! feedback??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd time at the track...much improved! feedback???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd time at the track...much improved! feedback???

Okay, 1st time out in July, mid 80's i ran 16.7 @ 80mph as my best :(

Since then i've gone back to 92 octane, installed a fan switch and changed my plugs/wires.

Today, different track, mid 70's temp. High humidity because a storm was brewing...

1st run: 2.512 60' 16.5 @ 88.24 mph

I was blown away by my mph, this where it should be, but i stalled at 1800 and spun off the line(testing the new track out)

2nd run: 2.482 60' 16.31 @ 85.24 mph

Woo hoo! New best and 4 1/10's better than in july. The mph were down though... mmmn. Fan switch working great... but should have waited longer.

3rd run: 2.560 60' 16.47 @ 86.51 mph

Not sure what went wrong here. Dern 60' time. But the mph went up a bit.

4th run: 2.445 60' 16.482 @ 83.61 mph

I lowered my rear tires to 20psi, but due to lunch break and pro/super pro guys, by the time I ran it was mid afternoon and the temp was 83 with high humidity...so my mph were way down :(

I think when I go back in a month, and the temps are high 60's if I lower the tire psi and hook like i did in the last run or better, this car could see a 16.0. I need to get the good launch combined with the good mph. I would love to crack 16.0 before putting on the 3.42's, but I don't know.

I'm going again next week. It's supposed to be cooler. Should I ice down my intake between runs...? Will that make any significant impact?

Thanks...
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

one...work on your launch

two...get your tire pressure back up. Just throw all 4 tires to 35psi (normal pressure) and run it down the track

There has to be some problem as to why you're stuck at the 16s. A stock 3.8 w/3.08s should hit around 15.8-15.9 anyways.

Comment

Are you saying that dropping my tire pressure killed my mph?

I was launching at 1500... should I go even lower???

thanks..
      1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

I launch 1800 and when I dropped my PSI to 25/30 (F/R) I got 2.3 60'. With our cars with the little power we make, the tire pressure isn't going to do much. Keeping normal tire pressure gave me the best 60', thus giving me better times.

Comment

Yesssss, 35 PSI is key. I had around 25 PSI in my tires and I was spinning all over the place. A f*cking 3.4 kept up with me because while he was launching I was still spinning. Definetaly ice the intake, cooler air, less detination I believe, and it makes up for the hotter temps. I see you have a SLP CAI, same as I have, if you cut a decent hole underneath the filters you notice a decent difference, atleast you should. If you don't want to cut a hole just take off that whole piece underneath it. The ideal thing would be to cut a whole and run a little scoop so it would be scooping air into the compartment where the filters are. Some guys even take everything off, that plastic underneath and the filters but that's a reliability. What if a rock pops up in there or something, f*ck that. Anyway, good luck.
          1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

Actually, i have that piece below the CAI filters folded back and clamped. That won't help my 60' much though, more top end right?

I just can't seem to stick to get a 2.3 60' and i've tried tons of stuff :(

So if tire pressure isn't it... maybe there's something else wrong.

Comment

I've searched and found that many people lower their tire psi to 25-28... did I go to low and it cost me mph?

Comment

your tires may be bald. Try new tires. Tires are the only part of the car that touch the pavement so technically they are the most importnat.

Ice intake...nah, plus most tracks now don't allow it because then water spills all over the place.

Just powerbrake until 1,800RPMs, on the 3rd yellow release the brake and ease into the throttle. Don't just MASH THE GAS. I've done that plenty of times and I usually get 2.2s. I ease into the gas so I don't spin and I pull 2.1s. You be the judge. BTW, what's your 330' and your 1/8th time/MPH

Comment

Tires are still pretty good... 50% tread left at least...

I will post my 330' when I get home because I dont' remember. My best 1/8 was 10.6 @ 67mph I think. I'll confirm that too.

I will definitely try to easy more into the gas. That will likely come with practice.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:
                    Tires are still pretty good... 50% tread left at least...

I will post my 330' when I get home because I dont' remember. My best 1/8 was 10.6 @ 67mph I think. I'll confirm that too.

I will definitely try to easy more into the gas. That will likely come with practice.
                    <hr></blockquote>

You're problem is on the 1st 1/2 of the 1/4mi. 10.6 is just WAY TO HIGH. You should stock hit around 10.1 or so and when some mods/practice you should be at 9.99 or lower.

Comment

has any one trying thinking of his elevation... the tempurature, the moisture...

my experience spinning the tires a little off the line gets me my best60 foot times, hence getting me to hit my fastest time yet,

so back to you, what was the weather like and such and ele plays a Huge roll, from my track to sealevel i should be hitting even 15's to 15.3
                      91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

K, my 333 time best was 6.6.

THe weather for the best run and mph was mid-high 70's high humidity.

I dont' know my elevation in relation to sea level, but i think it's pretty close. Same as Toronto, Detroit...Buffalo. Those are the close big cities.

Comment

well your 330' seems OK. It could be better, but anything from a 6.2 - 6.6 is DECENT. Make sure next time your gas pedal is all the way down I guess. :D

Weather does pay a significant factor (esp. since I'm in Florida...tons of humidity). I can't break a 15.4/15.5 now in this weather, yet in the winter (with less mods) I hit my 15.2 you see in the sig. Wait for cooler weather. Your in canada I see so cool weather is soon to come. Good Luck.

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

Comment

Well it was definitely all the way down.

Next week, i'll try to ease into the throttle and leave my tire psi alone.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

ps...i'm 642ft above sea level. so no correction required.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X