octane and what its for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octane and what its for

It is my understanding that octane is a retardent. Used to prevent detonation at high RPM. I would think multiple things could contribute to "knock" It would make sence that octane would hurt performance in our cars because of the low compression and relativly low RPM operating range. Now my bike was full buggy and I picked up a few .10ths running the 103? at the track. But I had all kinda mods on it and was hitting 11,500+ RPM.
    This may be a tech guestion but it is in responce to shortdogs post. Looks like it may be a good topic.
    I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

the higher the octane value of the gasoline, the less volitile it is - and actually the less BTUs per gallon it has. Higher octane fuel has less "calories" than lower octane fuel and is more difficult to ignite.

Running high octane fuel is only necessary if you're knocking. I find that most motorcycles will knock if not run on highgrade fuel - especially if they are air cooled.

Side note: This belongs in the tech forum.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X