Shift Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Points

I have a 97 3.8, no Y87 package or anything. (See Below). Does anyone have a similar car who has figured out the best shifting points? Or does everyone just about redline it in every gear?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Oh yeah, Its an M5, in case no one could deduce it. I am taking it to the track soon, so I just wanted to know.
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

you make max hp at 5600 rpms, so the perfect shift would happen right then and be as fast as possible.

Even a powershift (shift w/ out taking foot off gas) would be great, but VERY dangerous for the tranny if you don't know how to do it really well.
      2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

I thought the peak was 5200...
        [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

So I take it mostly everyone just redlines it? Magnus, you are experienced at the track, what have you figured out? I know you have 3.73s, but still some advice won't hurt!
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro:
            So I take it mostly everyone just redlines it? Magnus, you are experienced at the track, what have you figured out? I know you have 3.73s, but still some advice won't hurt!<hr></blockquote>

magnus has an auto. Shifting around 5500 rpms should be good for a completely stock car
            GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

Comment

Oh yeah, guess I missed that... I completely overlooked the fact that he has an auto. so 5500 it is then. I raced my friends mustang, (before i got tires) and i spun the wheels early in the gears, but it seems that my car really whoops *** in the high rpm range because i blew by him.
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Right before the redline to me. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Here is what works for me.. (Auto as you know)..

The less back pressure you have, the more HP you will make at those very HIGH rpm's.

When you have more back pressure, the engine will have to work harder at those very high RPM's to make the power it might be better to shift it a little early.

- Keith
                  Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

I have completely stock exhaust, except a magnaflow straight through muffler, so maybe at 5300-5400 RPMS?
                    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:

The less back pressure you have, the more HP you will make at those very HIGH rpm's.

- Keith
                      <hr></blockquote>

Yep, My shift points are completely different with exhaust off and on. I am still practicing, use assometer to figure it out. I drive back and forth and do U-turns in the same area to practice my shift points. As soon as I get them down I do something tht throws them off.

Comment

Ok. First of all I was checking your future mods...make sure you swap out those stock Z28 gears and get some lower ones. When I had my 3.23's in my car I would shift before redline. You dont want to go too high...1)Your power will drop drastically afterwards, 2)Your rev limiter might kick in and mess up your run. Even now that I got my 3.73'2, I still shift before redline...except now it pulls alot harder. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                        <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X