engine temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine temperature

What is the best engine temperature to run at the track. I usually let my car cool off a lot and I think my car is too cold and I am losing power. Should my car be at 200* or higher or lower? Also sometimes when I am slowing down after a run my engine shuts off and the windows fog up. I also lose power steering and brakes. Then my car would start back up when I turned the key again. Do you think that my car could have overheated? This hasn't happened in a long time. It also could have been from the hot wheather 80* +. Thanks for the info.
    2000 manual blackbird with borla exhaust, slp intake, b&m shifter, plugs and wires, control arms and panhard rod<br />14.94 @93.3 mph

I would try to keep it down to around 160-180 degrees. If you let it get up to 200, your car is going to be going a lot slower.
    Charles<br />98 Silver Firebird M5<br />whisper lid, K&N, whisper cold-air<br />RKSport cat-back<br />BMR LCA\'s, STB, panhard rod, tunnel brace<br />B&M ripper<br />15.376@89.92 2.267 60\'

Comment

I remembered running my best trap speed 93.79 mph when my engine temp was on 160*. ;)

You have to push the car to the staging lanes. Never leave the engine on!!!

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: bene ]</p>

Comment

When I push my car through the staging lanes, it gets down to 120* maybe even cooler. The lines are huge at the track that I go to. I think that having my car that cool ruins performance a little. What do you think?
        2000 manual blackbird with borla exhaust, slp intake, b&m shifter, plugs and wires, control arms and panhard rod<br />14.94 @93.3 mph

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by eurokiller:
          When I push my car through the staging lanes, it gets down to 120* maybe even cooler. The lines are huge at the track that I go to. I think that having my car that cool ruins performance a little. What do you think?<hr></blockquote>

120 is not good. I would suggest getting a fan switch and leave the car running in the stage lines....it'll keep it right at 160.

BTW, I dropped .6 in ET just by racing with the engine at 160-170 as opposed to 200-205.

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: TheBeast ]</p>

Comment

I would think no less than 150.

The colder the ECT is, the more timing advance you will have. As ECT increses, timing is pulled to prevent detonation.
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X