Whats better in a manual 3.73 or 3.42? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats better in a manual 3.73 or 3.42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats better in a manual 3.73 or 3.42?

I have a 2000 MANUAL firebird aand I can't decide what gears to get if I get any. I have the stock 3.23 gears in right now with an open differential. I want to know what would make my car faster in the 1/4 mile. I run 14.94 @ 93.3mph. What do you think I would run with the gears and a differential? Also what gear do you think I would end up in. Right now my third gear ends close to 97mph. I know this is a popular topic, but most of the information is on automatics only. Thanks for the help.
    2000 manual blackbird with borla exhaust, slp intake, b&m shifter, plugs and wires, control arms and panhard rod<br />14.94 @93.3 mph

I feel your pain.

This is the information I've gathered:

If you don't care about anything besides your 1/4 mile time, get 3.73's. You will have to shift to 4th until Hypertech releases its HPP3 where you could raise the rev limiter enough to stay in 3rd. As for daily driving, mileages goes down and you will hear your transmission whining at highway speeds.

If you want a compromise b/w 1/4 and daily driving, get 3.42s (they won't let you down either though, from what I hear, this is the gear ratio Im getting). Also, you won't have to wait for Hypertech for the rev limiter, you will barely stay in 3rd.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and for predictions on 1/4 reductions - expect up to .2 gain in 1/4 off of 3.42s and up to .4 with the 3.73s.
    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

I hit am still trying to figure out of I should stay in 3rd, or go for 4th in my car at the end of the 1/4, course my car drops off alot more on the top end.

If its an everyday driver I would go with 3.42s, still have alot of highway power, but I noticed a decent loss when I got rid of 3.23s.

Comment

I just switched to 3.42

The RPMs BARELY went up. Although I did notice a good bit more pull.

I think I could've stood to go 3.73 tho (and IM daily driver, poor college student)
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X