New guy, hit the strip a few times this summer. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy, hit the strip a few times this summer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, hit the strip a few times this summer.

Hey guys, I have a 96 Camaro 3.8l 5 spd, has the y87 package, custom tune from PCMforLESS, Intake, Exhaust, a few other things.

My best run this summer was a 15.612 at 89mph with a 2.2 60ft. Had a bad launch with wheel hope and didn't air down the tires. I couldn't beat this run all night though, even with better launches. Did it Island Dragway in NJ.

I'm actually trying to sell the car right now lol, I'm a little disappointed I never saw my goal of low 15's. My plan was to do an l67 swap, I have a buddy who's good with fabricating things, but decided I don't want to throw even more money at this car.

Re: New guy, hit the strip a few times this summer.

Sounds about right for a 5 speed stock car at that location. I ran 15.86 @ 86mph at my altitude bone stock.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
      Sounds about right for a 5 speed stock car at that location. I ran 15.86 @ 86mph at my altitude bone stock.
      I figured its close to where I should be, but I have a decent exhaust and a tune, so with the gears/posi I was really hoping for sub 15.5.

Comment

Best Ive had is 15.6 at 86 with 1/4 tank of gas with an eaton posi and SFCs
        But I race on 3/4 tank a gas usually

Comment

I run 16.2's with 8k DA with only exhaust and a short throw. Were you consistent?

Comment

I run low 15s with bad wheel hop and a 2.1 60'. Trap is around 87, but I should be able to pull a high 14s next time I go.

Comment

Awesome hopefully Ill be able to pick up a little once i get my full exhaust on

Comment

Very consistent, the majority of my runs with no driver error were differences of hundredths of a second, for example my 2nd best run was a 15.627. MPH was about the same every time to, same with 60 foots. I was told a 15.00-15.20 is what these cars did with the posi and 5 speed brand new. Granted mine is a fully loaded car and I had a full tank of gas and 17 inch vette wheels on the rear, 16 inch stockers on the front, but I was hoping with the mods and the little weight reduction I did, that I would be close to that.

Honestly without further work, there is no way the car is gonna run faster either, My launches were good and I shifted consistently at 6000-6100. I do need new spark plug wires, and I have a 1 piece drive shaft to install, but breaking 14's na I figure I'll need headers, roller rockers, ported upper and lower intake and a rear seat delete....which if my car doesn't sell in the next month or 2 will be the winter plans, instead of doing an l67/m90 swap as I had planned.

Comment

Bone stock my 98 firebird went 15.4@90mph. With headers, full exhaust, lid, and coil packs it went 14.9@93mph. Might be something wrong with your tune? I ran those @ Virginia Motorsports park.
                  Jeff ..
                  1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                  2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                  1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                  http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

At sea level, I'd run somewhere around 15-15.1... and soon to be faster. Real soon.

Comment

I'm 2000-3000 feet above sea level I think, but the air was cold that night, high 50's, low 60's. Nah, the tune is from PCMforLess and it noticeably feels better than the stock tune did. I figure new wires will cure the top end misfire in 3rd and the one piece ds is good for a tenth, plus a new fuel filter, probably would get me into a 15.4.

Realistically if i still have this car come spring, it'll probably break 15, but I'd like something boosted or v8 from the factory, as out of 3 cars, I've never owned either. So well see what happens.

Comment

Didnt see were you were. When I ran @ VMP its at least a couple hundred feet above sea level if not more. When I ran my car @ Atco which is@ or below sea level my car ran slower.
                        Jeff ..
                        1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                        2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                        1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                        http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X