Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching With A 5 Speed?

Hi All,

I want to know the correct launch procedure for a manual trans. I've been trying in vain not to spin the tires when I release the clutch. At what RPM should I be releasing and how quickly should I let the clutch drop?
    Any advice will annoy the hell out of my neighbors but will be greatly appreciated by me.

Re: Launching With A 5 Speed?

What tires are you using?

Comment

Haha I recommend not trying to practice launching right there at your house unless you live out in the sticks or something.
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

gotta find the spot where the clutch grips. after that its just slipping it assumin ur clutch is stock. dont just drop it cuz u will spin. start at lower rpms and work ur way up

87 Firebird RIP
        96 Camaro RS RIP
        94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

dont listen to anything mike says about launching a 5 speed, anything he tells you to do will result in putting another tranny in

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

lol thanks bib

87 Firebird RIP
            96 Camaro RS RIP
            02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

I have a stock clutch , 275/40/17 Hankooks and Auburn LSD with 3:42 gears. I'm new to drag racing and I just don't want to break anything. Not sure how much abuse these rear-ends can take.
              Thanks for the info. I have a couple more weeks to practice before I put the car away for the winter.

Comment

Rear ends are tough... Especially aftermarket ones.

I've got some Michelin 260/55's on my car, only 3.08's for about another week now, but I can launch at about 4500-5k before they spin...

Comment

when i had my v6 i couldnt lauch above 3k with 3.42s and a spec clutch on my zr1s. the rear is weak but u dont have the tq a lt1 or ls1 has so dont b to worried about it. Plus u arnt on DRs.

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Rhunadan View Post
                    I have a stock clutch , 275/40/17 Hankooks and Auburn LSD with 3:42 gears. I'm new to drag racing and I just don't want to break anything. Not sure how much abuse these rear-ends can take.
                    Thanks for the info. I have a couple more weeks to practice before I put the car away for the winter.
                    Rofllol. I've never heard of anyone grenading a 10 bolt with V6 powa! However, if you still have a 2 piece driveshaft, get rid of it asap. You can't get a good launch on crappy tires.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

whats the procedure for launching an auto? just WOT?
                      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
                        whats the procedure for launching an auto? just WOT?
                        Give it a little gas while on the brake to take the slack out of the driveline and soften the initial hit, let it rip. Not too difficult. Modulate throttle as needed.
                        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Following that, are you getting minimal spin? i've seen your youtubes, seems to pan out pretty good with your ls1
                          Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                          1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                          1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                          2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Yup, it's pretty much the same for any automatic car. My LS1 is slightly different as my converter likes to be stalled higher, so I'm leaving at around 3200rpms. Stock cars will usually like 1200-1400 best. Play with it and see what works for you.

Comment

Auto's get a SLP line lock and leave at whatever RPM you want, my 02' A4 tranny will stall to about 2400 RPMS max on the brake and hooks off the line, haven't tried my SLP line lock yet but I think I will keep it about the same since nothing breaks and with my suspension mods it holds the tires from slipping off the line like a dead hook with just chirping 2nd and 3rd gear.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X