Autocross is soo fun! everyone should try it! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autocross is soo fun! everyone should try it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross is soo fun! everyone should try it!

Just went autocrossing for the first time in my Camaro last Saturday, it is such an adrenaline rush and one hell of a fun time! Everyone should try it out sometime!

Heres a video of me running a few courses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5xrOHk000
    Robby
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
    sigpic

Re: Autocross is soo fun! everyone should try it!

Nice, I would love to go do it in my Camaro, the F-body club I'm on will rent the tracks out sometimes and go Autocrossing, I think I will try it one of these days. We had to use Crown Vics in the Police Academy doing chses and road course but those handled like crap , way too heavy and not enough power, esp. with the cage and loaded trunk. On your vid, do they instruct you on driving tips , I know we were always suppose to keep the hands at the 10- 2 O' clock position and let the steering roll back on its own , we would be deducted on points for crossing over on turns and also not letting the wheel slide back when possible. I don't really know ,like I said never been AutoCrossing in my Camaro or any other car.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks man, yea those crown vics are boats haha. An SCCA instructor rode with you to help you out and give you tips. You do a classroom session in the beginning of the day where they teach you correct hand steering position and such. You HAVE to autocross in the Camaro it is sooo much fun! v6 fbodies are perfect for autocross
      Robby
      2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
      sigpic

Comment

I went to an autocross event in December to watch and ride along to get a feel for it all. It was a blast! So many different cars out there, and even some of the ones you wouldn't expect are getting awesome times. Always good to see some f-bodies out there tearing up the pavement. Here are some from this weekend's regional event. All but the Formula are part of a local motorsports group.

And an LS1 RX-7 called "Frank":

'99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

This is on my to-do list. This is what I built my suspension for. I love the exterior camera angle.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

who would have thought a drag car camaro could turn too??? lol

Last edited by N2OEQIP; 04-26-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
              I went to an autocross event in December to watch and ride along to get a feel for it all. It was a blast! So many different cars out there, and even some of the ones you wouldn't expect are getting awesome times. Always good to see some f-bodies out there tearing up the pavement. Here are some from this weekend's regional event. All but the Formula are part of a local motorsports group.

And an LS1 RX-7 called "Frank":

Pace, you should make a video of your run so we can see how women drivers compare to the men. LOL J/K, But seriously
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That looks fun alright, but I have chronic back pain.

How did you get your camara to stay so steady like that. What mounting bracket did you use?

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Pace, you should make a video of your run so we can see how women drivers compare to the men. LOL J/K, But seriously
                  I'm trying to get my car prepped for an event or two. Need to get my brakes refreshed and some new tires before I can go back out there. But I'd totally kick butt. Some of those boys aren't confident enough in their driving. :P
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                    I'm trying to get my car prepped for an event or two. Need to get my brakes refreshed and some new tires before I can go back out there. But I'd totally kick butt. Some of those boys aren't confident enough in their driving. :P

LOL, Once mine is done I might give it a try, plus I'm swapping in some 98+ front brake upgrade and a proportioning valve to adjust the rear , I have owned it from day one so I know how it handles and how much to push it in the corners , just by the exhaust sound. I wouldn't even need a RPM or speed gauge. i would just need to adjust the front and rear shocks abit. I would sugeest 17 X 11 rims for the rear , I have noticed it keeps the rear planted more on taking hard corners and helps keep it straight. We will need videos if you go out and kick some butt. LOL

Comment

The wheels I'll be getting are available in either a 9.5" or 10.5" rear size. I'm thinking of getting a set of rear wheels and tires in each size... 9.5" for the street and 10.5" for the parking lot courses and shows. I can't remember what the tire rules are for my class, but I'll look at it again. Only problem will be finding someone that can roll my fenders with those wider wheels and 315 tires. I can only imagine how much it will rub going around corners. Hopefully I won't have to cut the bump stops either.
                      '99 Camaro
                      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

On mine for the rears with the 315's at stock height , no need to roll the fenders , but I did cut out the bump stops , becuase it was going to rub. No bigger though with a grinder, after that theres probably a good 1" to 1.5" clearance and as long as your shocks and springs are not close to the tire you shouldn't need to roll the fenders. Since you have Koni's you can set the shock rate higher so the rear won't come down and hit the tire. With the bump stops out of the way I think there is enough room to fit 335/35/17's in there with no problems. I'm going to take out my 1.5" spacers and let it back down some since there is enough room. With the 1LE springs they are strong enough not to let the rear go down esp. with the QA-1 shocks, I have them set at 8 out of 12 and it is doing a fine job even with over a 180LBS in the rear of the hatch for DD, for track it will be about 120LBS lighter so the rear will come up even more. For body roll just set your shocks up so there isn't too much roll and adjust the front so its equal to the rear will have to do some trial and error. I'm glad I left my 21mm sway bar on the rear since the front is so much lighter, when the turbo goes on it only going to add maybe 30-40LBs to the front since the intercooler and alm. piping doesn't way much and my new fans cut about 5-10 more LBS off the front. It is true what they say the 3.8's are designed better for autocross with the engine set back like it is. What rims are you going to go with? Also for the 315's I wouldn't go with the Sumuttos , I like the price, specs and looks of the Toyo Proxies for $159 each. Or they have some Kuhmos for a decent price. But they do get expensive, they had some for like $400 a tire which I couldn't see spending that much for 1 tire. Onlinetires has alot of selections and good prices and shipping rates.
                        Last edited by ssms5411; 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Looking at your pics on your F'Quick if your car sits the way it does then you won't have to roll the fenders just do the bump stops and since you have the suspension with the Koni's you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            Looking at your pics on your F'Quick if your car sits the way it does then you won't have to roll the fenders just do the bump stops and since you have the suspension with the Koni's you'll be fine.
                            Those pictures were before the lowering springs and Koni shocks. It currently sits with a little over 3 fingers' width between fender and tire with the 1.25" drop. Front shocks are still on the upper perch and I haven't done the rear hose mod yet. Probably won't at this point.

These are the wheels I'm looking at. http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...02085-3-1.html

I haven't looked at competition tires yet. At this point, I'm just trying to get a feel for the sport and get used to how the car feels on a large flat course, as opposed to my usual winding twisty road in the hills. I'll probably end up borrowing a set of tires from one of the local f-body autox guys if I'm allowed to run them. Otherwise, I'll start looking at recommended brands. I'd also stay away from Sumitomo tires. I haven't had any experience with their competition tires, but I can spin the brand new HTR ZIII's on my mom's stock '02 330i. A friend recommended Falken Azenis RT-615s, which look like a pretty good deal on Online Tires, so I might have to get some more perspective on those.

Edit: I didn't specify this earlier. With the car's current setup, 275's in the rear should be enough on a competition tire. With the plans I have in mind for it in the next year, it will hopefully need the 315s in the rear. ;)
                            Last edited by pace2006; 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM.
                            '99 Camaro
                            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

WOW, those rims look great, also would look great on your car being silver. For that price , its a steal. I have looked into Falkens and they have a great rating all around with a great 400 and A tire rating, only bad I read was nosie level was higher but if you have a aftermarket exhaust it doesn't matter. Online tires def. has some great deals and shipping is cheap and fast. Only reason I went with the Sumitomo 315's is becasue they were $106 a piece and $20 shipping. Can't wait to see those rims on your car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X