Exhaust set up question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust set up question.

Hey, I am in desperate need of some opinions. I am currently trying to get a catback setup together.My original plans are to stay relatively quiet but let it flow abit more so I can get a little more tuning done, currently I have a IMCO duel outlet muffler on order and a 3” pipe from the cat to the muffler (originally planned on a 2.5” but apparently the shop I went to can only get the 3”) and 2.5 out from the muffler

Alright, so my question is because I got forced into this 3” pipe. Am I going to regret it? Is it going to loose backpressure and loose power and torque? What do you guys think… let me know if I should cancel the appointment

Re: Exhaust set up question.

Its been said alot in the exhaust forum ^ up above , don't lose power, the power band moves up,so if you felt your power come on at like 3000 RPMS, it would move it to 3500 RPMS (just a estimate), also if you want to get the low end back just throw in some 3.73 gears and a LSD. Then you'll have low end power from the gears and top end from the exhaust. For your exhuast you could do a 3" race muffler before the axle with a turn down , and have very good exhuast flow and loose about 40LBS of pipping with the over axle pipe , muffler, and outlet tips. You should also have a good intake so it breathes better with the 3" exhaust. Headers are a good idea too, theres a set in the for sale section for $220 which is a great price. Then your exhaust would be as free flowing as possible. Next would be suspension to work on.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks for the info, as crazy as this sounds... its got the 3:73s and a K&N CAI. I've been putting off the exhaust because I want the performance and I want it somewhat quiet. I tried the flowmaster and it wasnt right for me...so ive gotta get it right this time.

Also, anyone know what this might sound like?

Comment

If you want it quiet with no rasp souding to at least 6000 RPMS thats where I shifted , try a 3" in/out Summit Super Turbo muffer with a 3" turn down out back. Its like a $25 muffler. If you want more agressive sound use a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler 3"in/out with a 3" turn down, I also shifted around 6000 rpms and no rasp just sounded really good, people always told me nice V8 ,LOL Also idle is more agressive sounding over the Summit Super turbo muffler with the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. I still have both mufflers just incase I got a good deal on another Camaro or a 00' GMC truck I was looking at. Right now I'm running all 3" piping and a 3" Dynomax Bullet race muffler with 3" turn down before the axle, but have a big deisel resonator that looks like a huge CAT for visual inspection and Rk Sport headers and VS cam. It sounds loud all the time but the muffler is straight through type and once the turbo goes on it should sound pretty quiet. So I would go with the 3" and one of the Turbo style mufflers if you don't want it too loud and no rasp. I would look into the headers for it also for some more performance. Good luck.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That sounds exactly like what im looking for with sound. I'll give the turbo muffler a try. the one i have ordered is a IMCO duel out turbo muffler, do you know if that is close to dynomax? its a kind of a weird brand, have you heard anything about them

Comment

I haven't heard anything about them , but most turbo style mufflers are alike as being the same style internals to keep noise down. let us know how it sounds once you get it on, so your doing dual outlet tips. If you need polished stainless steel turn downs I have a set of Gibson polished stainless turn downs. 2.5" clamp style to a 3.5" out turn down. Paid $95 for both , will sell for cheap if you need some tips or can use them, they do look great out back. I ran them side by side on the drivers side when i had a Dynomax Super turbo muffler 3" in on one side and 2.5 " dual on the other and I just used 90 degree bends to go out back. Then I went to the befor the axle Race muffler with turn down. Let me know if you need exhaust tips.

Comment

lol another converted member for Team SuperTurbo Muffler :p

OP- are you looking for a dual out exhaust with tips or something like steve suggested with turndowns or dump before the axle? full exhaust and headers or just a catback? bullet style muffler like a borla xr-1 or a single in, dual out? all of these options will make a difference in what you should consider.
              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
              gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

He said hes looking for a quiet setup so a turbo style mufffler should be fine, never heard of the brand he bought though, but the Summit and Dynomax Super turbo mufflers are quieter with a 3" exhaust.
                BTW I'm not in the Team SuperTurbo Muffler anymore since I switched to the Dynomax bullet race muffler( exactly like the Borla XR1) . LOL But I do have 3 Super Turbo mufflers on standby. LOL Summit Turbo muffler was the quietest muffler of them all and still flowed well for its price.

Comment

Alright, so if im getting this, the power moves up in the rmps with the 3in pipe... and any turbo muffler should be quiet enough with a min amout of rasp. also i got some black chrome tips ordered for the back. (thanks for the offer though).

I will post what i learn from this setup. I got hopes for a hp gains after i tune:excited:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X