Launching with a two step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching with a two step

Anyone use a msd two step to launch with. I've tried using it it a couple times with no success. I have it set to 3000 rpm's and it does its popping thing but after I release the monetary button the car hesitates before getting up to speed. It seems like it's loading the cylinders with gas too much. Any thoughts or secrets?

Re: Launching with a two step

Are you using it with a Turbo? Are you building enough boost when doing it?...What kind of afrs are you logging when your sitting there and waiting to take off?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      Are you using it with a Turbo? Are you building enough boost when doing it?...What kind of afrs are you logging when your sitting there and waiting to take off?
      Yes it is a turbo car. I don't build any boost on the line but I never do. Boost kicks in at 3500 rpm's. I never looked at the afrs.

Comment

Stick or auto trans?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
          Stick or auto trans?
          Automatic

Comment

Two steps are used with automatics that have trans brakes to calm down how hard the cars leaves the line. It's not something that would help an automatic car that doesn't use a trans break.
            sigpic

Comment

Two steps are used with automatics that have trans brakes to calm down how hard the cars leaves the line. It's not something that would help an automatic car that doesn't use a trans break.
              I have to disagree with you on that. They both do the same thing which is hold the car at a set rpm. The trans brake locks the trans until the driver releases the trans brake switch. The two step does the same thing except it does not lock the drive train.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                I have to disagree with you on that. They both do the same thing which is hold the car at a set rpm. The trans brake locks the trans until the driver releases the trans brake switch. The two step does the same thing except it does not lock the drive train.

Then I suggest you call MSD's tech line or who ever it is that makes your two step and ask them why you car acts the way it does when using it.
                sigpic

Comment

Then I suggest you call MSD's tech line or who ever it is that makes your two step and ask them why you car acts the way it does when using it.
                  I think I'll do that!:rock:

Comment

Correct

A two step is not a Transbrake. And a Trans brake is not a rev limiter

A two step is a low level Rev limiter. On a car without a trans brake you would still have to keep your foot on the brake pedal to keep the car from moving.

A trans brake is just that an internal brake in the trans that stalls out the converter. With a transbrake you dont have to pysicly hold down the brake pedal to keep from moving.

On a car with a two step and a transbrake the two systems would be tied together on the same momentary switch to keep your rpm's at a set point every time you launch off the trans brake.
                    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

NHRA and IHRA stockers don't use a trans brake but do use a two step. They rig a switch up to the brake pedal so when the driver is pushing the pedal they are also pushing the switch. It's usually held on with a bracket bolted to the pedal off to the side. When they have completed the run, they move their foot over a little bit so they don't hit the switch again, or they have a on-off switch that they can turn it off during the run. Which adds to many things to remember to do while racing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X