• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome rims???

Anyone know any godd reviews on how to clean and polish chrome rims
    ....WHITE CAMARO CLUB....? =(

Re: Chrome rims???

Check Mequires websit. They may have a small write up on it. However do you mean polished aluminum cuz Ive not heard of a polished chrome. I know chrome is clear coated or treated. I had a set of polised alum. wheels and I used Mothers alum/mag polish for them. For chrome they make liek a wax polish for them.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

If your problem is brake dust then you might wanna try Eagle One's Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. That stuff is awesome, I've never used anything else that worked like that did.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Ok you do polish chrome but it is different than polishing aluminum. Main reason for this is because chrome is a surface coating like paint and can be warn through to the under metal. Aluminum is not a coating but is just the metal it self. yes there is clear coated chrome and clear coated aluminum but you wouldn't be polishing them then, unless you would remove the clear coat. First off aluminum does "rust" but unlike iron its verson coats the aluminum in aluminum oxide and forms a protective barrier for the rest of the aluminum. This is why polished aluminum, fresh or cut aluminum is shiny and if left out it will dull. Iron oxide on the other hand doesn't protect the other iron very well and just melts away.

Now that the basic chemistry is out of the way we can get to the actual project.

Chrome is used as a coating because it doesn't oxidize is very strong (resists impacts) protects the underlying metal and looks good.

The only time you should polish chrome is when it is looking pitted scrached or rust from the under metal is coming through the pits. This is because no matter what polish you use every time you use it, it will take a little bit of chrome with it. This is how eventually you can polish through chrome. Other wise you should just wax you chrome just to protect it. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL IS NEVER EVER USE AN AMMONIA BASED POLISH ON CHROME. It works better but will eat through your chrome one hundred times faster.
        PS use newer styles of chrome polish don't use what your grandpa uses on his 57 chevy chrome plating was much thicker back then. and some of the older style polishes have abrasives in them.

Now if any one needs help with aluminum. You definitely want to use a ammonia based product and if needed an abrasive product even sandpaper because you want to get ride of some layers of oxide to get to the fresh aluminum. just successively lessen the grit to get it smoother cleaner. you can get aluminum to look even better with chrome with some work.

if any one has more questions about polishing chrome, stainless steel, aluminum, just post or email me. I have been polishing from the age of 5 and if i dont know i will find out for you.

midnightblue3800@hotmail.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
          Hello everyone!
          by Andy H
          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
          3 weeks ago
        • 3.4 slow to go
          hey there strangers!
          by 3.4 slow to go
          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X