Popup headlights grinding? Here's the fix!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popup headlights grinding? Here's the fix!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popup headlights grinding? Here's the fix!!!

Don't know if this has been covered so well. Posted it my forum, but figured it's really better suited here.

Does your firebird make super loud grinding noises when you turn the headlights on or off? Sounds like the motor continues to run after the headlights are already in the fully up or down position? Did the dealer or repair shop tell you that you had to buy a new headlight motor and pay out the nose? Well worry no longer! Use this walk through! The problem has nothing to do with the headlight motor. The motor assembly contains a large plastic gear that has stripped down and broken. You can buy only the gear separately and replace it yourself very easily! Costing only a small fraction of what the entire motor assembly would cost! So let's begin shall we?

First, you will need to buy a new gear for each headlight that has problems. They are universal, so they work for either side. You might think about doing both motors now while you're at it, vice fixing one and the other one crapping out soon after. Although I don't think GM sells the gears separately, they can be found all over online. I bought mine off Ebay. Here's a link to some

Directly on the sides of each headlight, you can easily find and get to the headlight motor assembly. The rubber cover has been removed in the picture. Turn your headlights on, disconnect the motor (light blue arrow below) and then turn the headlights off. Now, use a Phillips screw driver to take off the plastic covering around the headlight itself. 4 screws. It's may be hard to squeeze it out from around the headlight, but pull it out and set it aside.

Then, use a socket wrench to unbolt the headlight linkage from the motor assembly. (Green arrow is pointing to it) Pull the linkage off the drive rod. It's not easily at all, but it does just pull straight off. I used a large crow bar to gently break it free. Now the headlight is free from the motor. Doing this in the beginning gives you easier access to the remaining bolts. Prop the headlight in the up position with something. Unscrew the 3 bolts holding the motor assembly in place. (yellow arrows) Use a crescent wrench to hold the nut in place and a socket wrench to unscrew the bolts. There's not much room to move around down there is there? Glad you removed the linkage first huh?

Use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry off the back cover. It's on there pretty good. Stick the screwdriver in as far as you can and twist. It should start breaking free.

This is what you'll see. Pull the large white plastic gear out and inspect it closely. I bet it'll look like this:

Notice the missing tooth on both gears. And the teeth directly above the missing one are severely damaged
    \/\/\/\/Continued below\/\/\/\/
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Re: Popup headlights grinding? Here's the fix!!!

Pull the drive rod out and remove the rubber insert off the old gear. Reinstall both on the new gear. Use the grease in there to lube up the new gear a little. Drop it back in the motor assembly.

Notice how all the teeth line up now? See why it wouldn't work once that tooth had broken off? Now use a two part epoxy or another strong glue to glue the cover back in place. Be careful not to get it all over the place. Once the glue dries, reinstall in reverse order. Make sure to install the nuts on the inboard side and bolts slide though on the outboard (headlight) side. Just as removed and shown in first pic. If you don't the headlight cover catches on them while it trying to go down. When re-installing the headlight linkage, make sure the bend or elbow in the linkage is pointing to the rear of the car. It will go on the other way, but will not allow the headlight to move properly. Manually crank the headlights up and down once to make sure everything is free and clear before you throw the switch for the first time.

And that's it! Hopefully someone gets some use of of this.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

Re: Popup headlights grinding? Here's the fix!!!

These are excellent - I have them with the brace.

http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
        Hello everyone!
        by Andy H
        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
        3 weeks ago
      • 3.4 slow to go
        hey there strangers!
        by 3.4 slow to go
        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X