This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search

Just want to say the new forums look to be coming along great so far. Can't wait to see the rest of the features enabled.

My only complaint so far is with using the search function. It seems like it's getting too trigger happy on stripping keywords out of the search, and it won't give any decent results for what I am looking for because of this. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks
    2000 M5 Pewter Firebird [Monsoon stereo]<br /><a href=\"http://www.centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_id=2\" target=\"_blank\">16\" Centerline Galaxy Wheels</a> . <a href=\"http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/\" target=\"_blank\">Headlight fix</a> . Under dash lighting . Dashmat . Headlight conversion<br />84k miles<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/tucsonbird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a><br />Tucson, AZ

Re: Search

give the specific keywords and search function used to better troubleshoot the issue
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Just the normal search box that pops up at the top of the board... Sorry for not being more specific

Search phrase I tried:
      AC blows while off

It ended up just searching for "blows". I tried a few others too but can't remember them.
      2000 M5 Pewter Firebird [Monsoon stereo]<br /><a href=\"http://www.centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_id=2\" target=\"_blank\">16\" Centerline Galaxy Wheels</a> . <a href=\"http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/\" target=\"_blank\">Headlight fix</a> . Under dash lighting . Dashmat . Headlight conversion<br />84k miles<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/tucsonbird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a><br />Tucson, AZ

Comment

Ok.. Let's sticky this one. Rules are:

1. ONLY POST words you've used in the search and what it ACTUALLY searched.

2. NO WHORING!!!

I'll working on defining the search better for everything.

Steve
        FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
        Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
        Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I tried searches in every forum on the board. Only a few of them worked. The others only showed posts made since the update to vBulletin.

The following ones in bold did not work:

General Tech
          Advanced Tech
          Intake/Exhaust
          Drivetrain
          Suspension
          Forced Induction
          Nitrous
          Appearance
          Stereo/Electronics
          Third Generation
          Tuning

Modification Reviews
          Review Submissions
          Technical Archive

Drag Racing
          Autocross/Road Racing

Lounge
          National Events
          Kill Stories
          Website Stuff
          Other Rides
          Featured F-Body

Sponsor Arena
          For Sale
          Wanted

General Regional
          RedLine VSix Club
          Venom-VI Club
          Florida V6 F-Body Club
          Dixie Six
          Heartland Heat Club
          New Jersey
          West Coast
          Southwest
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

OK.. that post.. made NO sense! I need to know what WORDS you used when searching.

Comment

That's what I was trying to say in the email last night. What I'm searching for makes no difference....NOTHING works. I can only get results if whatever I'm searching for has been posted after the vB update.
              Matt
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Ok.. let me work with it this weekend some (maybe.. i might try to ride if nice) also, I might try to call you.. so PM your cell to me so I can verify both yours and mine with this search issue.

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply soon, I was away all weekend.

I just tried searching for "cam" in Advanced Tech. I got the maximum of 200 results...everything seemed to be working correctly.

I then tried searching for "clutch" in Drivetrain. Again, 200 results and working perfectly. The results only went back to last year, so I tried searching for older posts but it stopped working. Now now matter what I search for (in any forum) I only get results posted since the vB switch.

I tried clearing cookies and cache, but no difference. Also tried in IE, but same thing.

No matter what I do, I can't get the results I got before.
                  Matt

Comment

interesting. I just tried to search in the third gen forum for cam, 3.4, disc, rear, headlamp, head and got nothing. IAC did get a hit.
                    Last edited by 3.4 slow to go; 04-11-2006, 09:29 PM.
                    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Same thing just happened again. I search for "pulley" and got all the results. Went to index again and try exact same search, in exactly the same way. Got the 2 results posted since the switch. Hit back and went to the first search. Tried going to page 2 and it was working. Still can't get a new search to work, though.
                      Matt

Comment

Posts I found on vB's site:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176604
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174931
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122963
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180164
                        Matt

Comment

It's already been rebuilt.... I'll do it again late this weekend.. because it is server intense. But I don't think that's it.

Comment

seems that in many of the sections that 98camaro3.8 had bolded, you can not find posts older than this april (since the move??)

for instance, search for "exhaust" in the intake exhaust forum, results go back to the first couple days of april and then quit.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                            Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I think the search could be really improved if it allowed us to search for phrases, without cutting out the short or common words. For Example, if i want to search for C5 wheels or something similar with something short, like C5, the search function cuts out C5. Now that's understandable because it's so short. But if there was a way to search for that phrase, such as adding quotations around it, eg "C5 wheels", that would help, because i have searched for a long phrase that should cut down many results that i'm not looking for, only to get most the words taken out, and leave me with hundreds of threads to look through to find the one I want.

currently if you add quotes, I think it searches for the quotes too, so you don't get any results.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, if it's possible, to allow the search to look for phrases that include short or common words when quotes are added around the phrase your looking for.

my two cents.
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X