X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the end of the ss line

end of ss line

Re: the end of the ss line

Wow...is there going to be any good news to come out of GM anytime soon?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

probably not
      sigpic

Comment

This is good. The SS moniker was being thrown into way too many models anyway. The Camaro SS will live, the Corvette models are untouched, and the CTS-V will likely survive as well. How many other performance models does GM need? Seriously, who is going to cry over the demise of the HHR SS, or the Cobalt SS?

Impala SS was a good performance sedan, but still unnecessary: I doubt that many will miss it.

I haven't seen any changes lately out of GM that were not good, including the demise of Pontiac: Pontiac only consists of re-branded Chevy models, with the sole exception of the Solstice, which was still re-branded as a Saturn. I think the Solstice will survive anyway as a Pontiac model..? Not sure.
        Last edited by Camarorulz; 05-10-2009, 01:00 PM.
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

yeah this isnt really bad news.

Comment

Originally posted by Camarorulz View Post
            This is good. The SS moniker was being thrown into way too many models anyway. The Camaro SS will live, the Corvette models are untouched, and the CTS-V will likely survive as well. How many other performance models does GM need? Seriously, who is going to cry over the demise of the HHR SS, or the Cobalt SS?

Impala SS was a good performance sedan, but still unnecessary: I doubt that many will miss it.

I haven't seen any changes lately out of GM that were not good, including the demise of Pontiac: Pontiac only consists of re-branded Chevy models, with the sole exception of the Solstice, which was still re-branded as a Saturn. I think the Solstice will survive anyway as a Pontiac model..? Not sure.
            You forget the G8 (which could easily become the next Impala), and the Vibe (only shared with Toyota).

And then again, I'd argue about the Cobalt SS sedan not being worthwhile - I mean, having a good entry-level performance car is something that Honda's had forever in the Civic; going head-to-head with that isn't a bad thing.

In any case, hopefully, they'll roll out the Cruze version sooner... unless they plan on keeping the Cobalt coupe around for a bit longer.

Comment

from what ive read about the cruze its not so impressive.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

I was trying to reply about the guy saying that ford is all great and the gt500 is so better than the new SS , so I was going to say why is the new v6 camaro comparable to the V8 GT and the ZR1 will smoke the GT500 and woman drive the v6 mustangs.LOL But I can't post on there.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  I was trying to reply about the guy saying that ford is all great and the gt500 is so better than the new SS , so I was going to say why is the new v6 camaro comparable to the V8 GT and the ZR1 will smoke the GT500 and woman drive the v6 mustangs.LOL But I can't post on there.
                  His coment angered me a bit too. How about make it fair; since the GT500 cost about 10 grand more, I say put 10 grand in the SS. Then see what happens :D

Im sorry, to me, it took them 10 years to catch up. And all the while theyre still talking trash... It will never end, at least we know the truth.

As for the OP, I see nothing wrong with this. Goodbye ugly HHR
                  sigpic
                  98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    funny thing is the gt500 only runs 4 tenths faster than a new SS.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

guess i'll hold onto the cobalt ss/sc for a few extra years now lol
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

although i agree, they shouldnt have dropped the impala ss.. as they had them back in the day.. 327 sbc impala ss at IIRC 375hp with some fuelie heads :rock:

Comment

True, I like the Impala SS too, but it can be revived when GM isn't fighting for its life every day, and kissing the government's *** to get money. It's bad enough that the company just released a high-performance muscle car in an era of rising gas prices and bad economics....

Sometimes I wish I'd lived in the '60s....

traumadog, while the Cobalt may compete with models like the Civic SI, that model isn't really Honda's bread and butter, is it? GM should be trying to compete with other companies in good markets, not fringe markets for small performance sedans, especially given the political and economic climate. Camaro and Corvette (and probably Impala SS) add nameplate value...Cobalt SS does not add nameplate value. Camaro, Corvette, and Caddy CTS are in markets GM actually has a chance to compete in, while that potential is substantially lower right now in the market of small performance sedans. So when you already have three high-performance cars, you're trying to get government bailout money, and you have other models that (1) are in markets you cannot reasonably expect to compete well in and (2) do not add nameplate value, and are almost worthless for marketing, the choice is obvious.

The people at GM are starting to make the right decisions. Here, they ran a cost/benefit analysis and decided that fringe-market performance cars are not economical, and again, very few will care one way or the other.
                          Last edited by Camarorulz; 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM.
                          -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Seriously, who is going to cry over the demise of the HHR SS, or the Cobalt SS?

they pretty much finally put something out that straight up dominates the sport compact market, which is well pretty popular?

260 hp turbo ecotec, pulled better times on the nurburgring then a 350Z

good options, good power, wasily modded, great handling, for the cost of a ****ty Civic SI and gets about the same gas mileage.

It would have been a good idea to help out.

then again performance cars don't make money, Toyota proved it. They became their most financially sound, when they dropped everything performance and finished with the Corrolla type S being their "sporty" car.

Comment

The problem is, times on the 'Ring don't sell cars that don't add name-brand recognition (like Corvette).

As you said, performance cars aren't really money-makers, so the company can either water down the performance, or make a performance car that markets well, which adds other benefits to the brand.

As for the Cobalt helping out, see my previous post.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X