niteshades - illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• niteshades - illegal?

so i was at my local autostore today (o'reillys) and i saw a guy a can of niteshades and was surprised because i didnt know they sold it there. after he left, i asked the guy at the counter how much per can and he said 11. but then he also said that the cops in the city i live in (ballwin for you stl peeps) get pissed about the blackout taillights which blows because i wanted to do that. i was just wondering if any of you guys with blackout taillights have ever gotten pulled over for them?

i guess i can see why they dont like it, but still. and i looked it up in our city law thingy online, but couldnt find anything on it so yeah. but i think the next time i see a cop shooting radar on the side of a calm road, ill pull over and ask his opinion.

Re: niteshades - illegal?

I've never had a problem. I think the main thing is they want to be able to see that you have your brake/running/turn signal lights on. I've seen some cars with blacked out tail lights that it's hard to see when they put their brakes on. I can see why that's illegal. However, in broad daylight, you can tell when I turn on my running lights because they are dang bright as they are LEDs. blinkers and brakes come through as well as the next car, so I don't think they have a problem with me. Not sure if you've seen mine, but they are very black. Don't go overboard and make them darker than your bulbs can handle and I think you'll be okay. But I would check around locally and see how strict your police are.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Yes they are illegal. Even though cops wont pull you over just for those (unless it's really really dark), but if you get pulled over for something else, you'll also get a ticket for unclear taillights.

Don't do it.
      09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
      sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by kala View Post
        Yes they are illegal. Even though cops wont pull you over just for those (unless it's really really dark), but if you get pulled over for something else, you'll also get a ticket for unclear taillights.

Don't do it.
        depends on local governments, not illegal everywhere.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I got pulled over various times during the day for the blackout taillight covers i had on. the cops would always pull me over and tell me they couldn't see my brake light or turn signals through them, but i thought you could, so id take them off. They would let me leave. I'd put them back on :P

Mods:
          Slp Dual Cold Air Intake
          Racing Stripes
          Flowmaster Exhaust [2.5 Pipes, Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler]
          Camaro Fill Ins
          Black Outs
          Tint

Comment

It is illegal in my town, but so many people are doing it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
              depends on local governments, not illegal everywhere.
              True but it's illegal in most of the states. (I know in NJ cops gives you tickets left and right)

Also take a look look at this letter. It's related to a taillight made by APC.
              http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...21387.ztv.html

Pursuant to its authority under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has promulgated a Federal motor vehicle safety standard that requires replacement lighting equipment to comply with the same requirements as are applicable to the original equipment that it replaces (see S5.8.1 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108). If the replacement lighting equipment fails to comply, it may not be sold and the manufacturer (defined to include the importer) of the equipment must make a determination of noncompliance and inform us of that fact, and then notify purchasers and remedy the noncompliance. If the manufacturer fails to make such a determination, NHTSA may make the determination instead and order the manufacturer to notify and remedy.
              From the above, we learn that taillights have to conform to FMVSS 108

Here is a recall regarding one such product:
              http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...intVersion=YES

Here are couple more
              http://fmvss108.tripod.com/interps/o...l__purvis_.htm
              http://fmvss108.tripod.com/interps/s...w__l__hill.htm

You need to realize that you MUST meet the FMVSS 108 criteria meaning your taillights are visible to other drivers and when you brake, people can distinctively see your taillights lit up.

Also note that, if an accident was caused by your tinted tails (ie, they didn't meet FMVSS 108) then the accident could be ruled your fault and your insurance company may deny coverage - not very likely, but possible.

If someone rear ends your car (lets hope not) and you got tinted tails, you're giving the other guy (who is totally at fault) an excuse to plead NOT Guilty. The other guy can simply say, "His tails are tinted. I didn't see them when he brake". Case goes to court and there's a very good possibility he/she may win the case.

I really didn't wanted to scare you but I would NEVER tint the tail lights. Not only you're breaking the law (depending state) but you're making your car more vulnerable to accidents (people can't see your tails at night).
              09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
              sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

black out yes - smoked out no
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Never had any problems with my blackouts.

Been pulled over 3 times with the car, and never a word from the cops.

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
                    black out yes - smoked out no
                    x2 CV6 mama.

just use the stuff in moderation if you think it could be trouble...you're supposed to put it on in lots of thin layers anyway right? so just do a little to tint or "smoke" your lamps and call it a day. this thread is like saying should i tint my windows limo black or keep them factory? just do a reasonable amount and you'll be fine.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

so if i go through with the smoking, and i somehow stupidly tint them too dark, i can replace the stock bulbs for higher intensity bulbs that you would be able to see more easily, correct?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                        Low Voltage
                        by Vladimir Gecko
                        I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                        10 hours ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        6 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X