Looking for some opinionated people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some opinionated people

I have a 1998 pontiac firebird thats black with 99,108 miles 3.8 v6 auto. I bought this car 2 years ago, it was in mint condition with 74,250 miles for 6,500. At the beginning of this year I lost my job an was without work for 15 weeks. In that time my car has fallen in disrepair. The front bumper is fully spider cracked, the left fender has a big dent in it and is cracked from being hit, and the right fender is cracked and scaped up from being hit. Both rear quater panels are scratched up. All of this damaged happened while being parked in a parking lot. I live in Maine where people really don't care about there cars so they tend to just hit my car all the time.

The car needs a new driveshaft, rear springs and shocks, needs new brake rotors, throwing a code for a bad ground fan switch relay, needs new plugs/wires, new window wipers, i pulled the fuses to the headlights motors so they work, but I'm missing one of the rubber/plastic bump guards so the motor over rotates and falls apart. The oil pressure guage is disconnected because the piece that plugs into the oil pressure switch was ripped from the wires, the engine seems to produce alot of valve slap upon cold start up, the intake gasket needs to be replaced, interior is a 9 of 10, rims have some curb rash.

But the rear axle was replaced 15k miles ago, has new tires, just had a coolant flush, new tensioner pully, STB, maganflow 3" exhaust system, runs synthetic oil, new belt, bigger sway bars. The car runs great still, and the tranny is perfect, firm smooth solid shifts. No hesitation whatsoever. There is a very little amount of rust underneath. But its only on the rear axle.

Now kelly blue book values private party sale at 4,050 in fair condition. My car seems to be in worse then fair condition.
    Trade in value is at 2,320 - Sadly i owe $2600 but i can make that $2000 by the end of this month.

Basically I already know I want to get a new car, the new car will be a 1998-2002 z28 camaro 6-speed but I'm really afraid of what I can get for my car cause I know blue book value sucks at estimating true value. So what do you all think...

a) Sell private party, hope to get 3,500 for it.
    b) Cut my losses, trade-in get whatever for it
    c) Or to not be a pussy, ride the crap car out for another year. Pay it off and next summer, buy a new car.

Any and all responses will be appriciated, feel free to ask questions about the car if you need more info.

Re: Looking for some opinionated people

I vote c. If I were out-of-work, I certainly wouldn't be looking into purchasing a car.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

you need to clarify if you have a steady job right now or not

Comment

Haha, whoops! I do have a job now. Muh bad

Comment

I vote a

Comment

I vote keep your car and either fix it up or do a LS1 swap in it!!
            Jeff ..
            1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
            2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
            1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
            http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

I would fix up a few things just make sure you can drive her safely. Rotors, pads, shocks, all DIY jobs and replacement parts, not performance upgrades can be attained for under $300 total. Why do you NEED springs at 99K?

Bad ground @ fan switch relay...get a diagram, reground. Fixed.

Driveshaft, stock steel 1 piece is cheap. Why do you need one?

As for the internal issues, it all depends on whether or not you want to keep it, but taking into consideration how your car has gotten beat up by actions that weren't yours, I'd think long and hard about getting those people a new target! It would be cheaper to get the internal issues fixed professionally than it would be to get a new car, then worry about how much it will cost when some one bangs into it.

Comment

its got decent miles but with so many isssues you might not get 3500 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crispy View Post
                  I would fix up a few things just make sure you can drive her safely. Rotors, pads, shocks, all DIY jobs and replacement parts, not performance upgrades can be attained for under $300 total. Why do you NEED springs at 99K?

As for the internal issues, it all depends on whether or not you want to keep it, but taking into consideration how your car has gotten beat up by actions that weren't yours, I'd think long and hard about getting those people a new target! It would be cheaper to get the internal issues fixed professionally than it would be to get a new car, then worry about how much it will cost when some one bangs into it.
                  x2. fix the car, but mod it at the same time. Go with an aluminum driveshaft, better shocks, etc.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by redneckgames View Post
                    I vote a
                    Thank you, I'm liking the idea

Originally posted by 1998silverbird View Post
                    I vote keep your car and either fix it up or do a LS1 swap in it!!
                    I can afford to fix it up, but not do the LS1 swap, Also I drive this vehicle in the winter so, I'm thinking a 3rd winter with me, this car will definitly need a good deal of work to bring it up to par to make me feel it was worth the effort. If I buy a new camaro, it will be parked during the winter. For some reason, it doens't bother me driving this firebird in the winter.

Originally posted by Crispy View Post

I need new springs cause i live in maine and theres lots of pot holes since its winter 7 months out of the year up here. Driveshafts twisted from when i dropped it with my last axle. The gasket costs an arm and a leg as everyone knows, I really dont' want to pay for it. But I do see your point.

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121 View Post
                    its got decent miles but with so many isssues you might not get 3500 for it.
                    Sadly enough, I agree with you.

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird View Post
                    x2. fix the car, but mod it at the same time. Go with an aluminum driveshaft, better shocks, etc.
                    I want to do this so bad, but the v6 is horribly under powered in comarison with the LS1. Its embarrasing driving up next to mustangs, porshe, ricer talons, civics, preludes, and getting beat.

Thank you all for your opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Finkledbody View Post

I want to do this so bad, but the v6 is horribly under powered in comarison with the LS1. Its embarrasing driving up next to mustangs, porshe, ricer talons, civics, preludes, and getting beat.

You do enough modding and you wont get beat.

There are plenty of V6's on here that just spank the hell out of LS1's.
                      Y87 Package
                      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                      BONE APPROVED!
                      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                      Team Black...TEAM EMO
                      sigpic
                      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Finkledbody View Post

You must be doing something wrong then. Before my cam, I could walk on V6 mustangs, most GTs, every civic/eclipse/talon/etc in my town, except for the few that have over $10K into their motor. Now that I think about it, the only thing I've ever really lost to was other Camaros, and it still wasn't shamefully losing.
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                          You must be doing something wrong then. Before my cam, I could walk on V6 mustangs, most GTs, every civic/eclipse/talon/etc in my town, except for the few that have over $10K into their motor. Now that I think about it, the only thing I've ever really lost to was other Camaros, and it still wasn't shamefully losing.
                          Amen.
                          Y87 Package
                          MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                          Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                          BONE APPROVED!
                          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                          Team Black...TEAM EMO
                          sigpic
                          Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
                            You do enough modding and you wont get beat.

There are plenty of V6's on here that just spank the hell out of LS1's.
                            Your definitly right about that. But the people that did it, spent time and money on modifing there vehicles. I don't have much money. Now don't get me wrong. I could afford to do it, but I would be left with nothing else. Thats why its better to just buy a car with the balls already in place.

Also, my car is a daily driver and sees over 300 miles a week. So with 99k miles in place already, by the time I finish the extensive modding and repairs. I would be $3000 down; with 110k miles on the clock.

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                            Yes v6 mustangs are easy, The older GT's are also, but LT1 camaros/firebirds, lightly moded mustangs, modified ricer mobils that are actually pretty quick with large turbos, kick my arse and its embarrasing. I want a 12.8-13.8 quarter mile car. Not my current 15.4-15.8 at best. Don't get me wrong though, I have raced, and won. Many times now, and it feels real good. Just when I lose. It hurts, also I've had this car so long now, Before the race starts, I look at the car and can tell you who will win before the race has started. From a dig, or a roll.

But I do see that I can do a cam, 3.42 LSD, and supporting mods to pull a nice low 14 pass but still. Maybe pushing 220-240 hp at the wheels. Sadly enough, thats still way to slow for me..

Theres no replacement for displacement. :tup: :rock:

So with that being said. I know I'm getting a new car, its just about when. Should I get one this year? Next year? Keep the firebird, sell it? If sold... How? what do you all think I can get for it? I'll try to get some pics up of the damage today so you all can see better the condition of the vehicle.

Comment

C

Iam pretty much in the same boat as you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X