Calling MightyThor ... Home Gym questions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling MightyThor ... Home Gym questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling MightyThor ... Home Gym questions

Hey man, I am thinking about buying a home gym ... My nearest gym is actually less than 2 minutes from my home, but I enjoy the privacy of the home to do my exercises.... I usually don't work out but I have a decent body (5'9" 155 lbs) .... I just need to do some workout, maybe 15-20 minutes a day, to keep me in that shape... Only thing I am interested right now is my abs ... I would like to have 6 pack or atleast very toned ab.... I was looking at home gyms and stumbled upon this one ... it seems very decent and price is reasonable ...

http://www.ifitnessdirect.com/product-124.html

After reading numerous 5 stars reviews from many places, I think I am going to order this piece.. this gym was rated no. 1 by consumer guide/report ....

Amazon review

Reviews

oh also, what do you think of this HOme gym? I can opt for no interest for 12 months and can pay it off at the end of the year .... my brother pays $40 a month for his gym membership and I can actually own this piece at the end of the year if I pay $50 month... so it's a win win if you ask me ...I really don't need all the gym item (i.e cardio , weight lifts etc) ..I just want to spend 15-20 minutes on equipment before going to sleep , that's all ...

Now, the reason I call for you Ed is because I was looking into Natural body building(or shaping) .. I cannot digest those protein shakes or even the least powerful supplements ... for some reason my body rejects them (I get sweaty, jittery, hyper, and don't feel normal) ... do you recommend a book/workout schedule how to do body building/shaping just by eating regular food? please give me more info on Natural body building/shaping

Thanks man

:)
    Last edited by kala; 06-12-2008, 06:15 PM.
    09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Re: Calling MightyThor ... Home Gym questions

dude that home gym is a little overpriced for me, maybe its cuz it comes with the weights but i have one that didnt come with the weights and has everything that one has for only 300 new, you could look on craigist cuz over here ppl have been selling theirs for like 150 or for free. Look around

Comment

oh and have fun putting it together :)

Comment

its a nice piece, but you arent going to get as good of a workout as you would on that as you would with the specific gym equipment

im willing to bet that you have abs they are just covered up by fat (like most people)

if you want them to show, you need to do cardio and change your diet

Comment

^^ yes exactly, im 5' 7 and was 205 pounds and after dropping down to 185 i would be able to feel my abs, i was like i actually have something their.lol but yea did cardio for one year and thats how i lost the most weight.To tone you should do a lighter weight with more sets and reps, for bulk its more weight with less sets and reps.

Comment

I have a universal gym just like that at home and I got on liquidation sale for $150 at Sportsmart. I think the regular price was 500. It started off good and then in time it wasn't so smooth anymore.

But you said that you are looking to working out only 15-20 mins a day well if I could recommend the best home gym equipment that doesn't take up a whole lot of room and it already comes with a workout chart and DVD, workout plan, and diet plan then I would recommend the Bowflex Ultimate.

http://www.bowflex.com/bhg_microsite...imate+XTLU.jsp

It's about $1900 and it comes with a very good payment plan with no interest I think.

I also recommend getting this bowflex (adjustable) dumbells too so you can do some curls, flys, rows, upright, tricep extentions, lunges and such:

They're $400. It's pricey!!! The weights are adjustable and it goes all the way up to 55lbs. But you can buy 5 to 55lbs of quality steele dumbells for half that price if you want.

So if you plan on working out for the rest of your life then these are good investments. Plus I think Bowflex provides a lifetime warranty on their power rods just in case you wear them out.

I wasn't a believer of Bowflex but trying it out I actually got a good workout. Those rods can really kill you. You just throw them around like barbells, dumbells, or cables. You really have to do it in good form in order to get the full effectiveness.

Don't worry about supplements. They are not as important as eating right. The only supplements I take are protien and Centrum multi-vitamins and minerals. I've been taking these same supplements since my heyday. I would recommend Creatine too but it might do something bad to your system because of the high sugar content that you have to take along with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I get home really late now so I'm sorry if I don't respond right away.
            Last edited by Mighty Thor; 06-13-2008, 03:31 AM.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

f all that money. it's call the out doors. lol go run, skate, ride a bike, swin, pick up rocks, cut down trees, do sit ups, do push ups, play with kids, wash a car, pick up heavy randoms things and lift it over your head..........who cares it's free and fun.

nature has everything to offer.

or you could just wrestle with nakes men on a trampolin

don't forget my fav...yoga!
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
                f all that money. it's call the out doors. lol go run, skate, ride a bike, swin, pick up rocks, cut down trees, do sit ups, do push ups, play with kids, wash a car, pick up heavy randoms things and lift it over your head..........who cares it's free and fun.
                :tup:

Yard work and fixing up my house is my exercise program, and I get compliments for the shape I am in for my age. For those who do not know me, I am 5'8", 170.

An old roommate of mine had the Bowflex home gym. It was expensive but worked well.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

just get a gym membership and stop worrying about what other people in the gym think...ur all there for the same reason and there will ALWAYS be someone in better shape than u just as there will always be someone in worse shape...

as for abs....RUN and do weighted sit ups

Comment

Thanks Mighty ... that bowflex seems a bit expansive ..hmmm ... I think I am gonna start a gym membership for 2-3 months and see how I feel (I am very sensitive. I gain and lose interest on things very rapidly. You guys probably know that from my never ending car buying) ...if I feel good, I may go ahead and invest in that later...

Is there any meal plan I can follow or just eat regular?? (i.e. 2 eggs at breakfast in certain way, 2 at lunch , etc??) I can't eat ANY of those protein stuff or shake .... NONE.. I have to rely on food (regular food) ...

09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by kala View Post
                      Thanks Mighty ... that bowflex seems a bit expansive ..hmmm ... I think I am gonna start a gym membership for 2-3 months and see how I feel (I am very sensitive. I gain and lose interest on things very rapidly. You guys probably know that from my never ending car buying) ...if I feel good, I may go ahead and invest in that later...

Is there any meal plan I can follow or just eat regular?? (i.e. 2 eggs at breakfast in certain way, 2 at lunch , etc??) I can't eat ANY of those protein stuff or shake .... NONE.. I have to rely on food (regular food) ...

Well in that case be careful with signing contracts. They usually last for a couple of years. Gyms nowadays go by contracts that will draw out money from your bank account. So even if you are not interested anymore they will still continue to draw money from you.

My advice to you is go to a college campus and see if you could sign up for a membership there. Or take a weight training lab class which is alot cheaper.

Also, since you work in a hospital see if they have a gym. I know my hospital used to have a gym down at the basement and that's where my friend and I used to workout.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by kala View Post

Well, I just finished doing the Subway diet for a month because I tore the meniscus in my knee and couldn't do my normal workout regiment. I started at 220 lbs, now I'm at 211 this morning. That was with no cardio. Fairly cheap too, $20 got me through 2 meals a day for 3 days.

Bagel in the morning w/protein shake and reduced fat peanut butter
                        Serving of fruit
                        6" sub & baked chips for lunch
                        Serving of carrots
                        6" sub & 1/2 cup of rice for dinner
                        Protein bar

If you can't do protein shakes or bars then I suggest drinking milk. Especially chocolate soy milk for when you get a sweet tooth. Also a good appetite curber is frozen whipped cream. Less than 20 calories per serving and a spoon or two will do the trick.

Oh, and stay away from potatoes, even baked potatoes. Potatoes break down into sugar, thats why I stick with rice and yams.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X