How do you change a battery on a Mercedes? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you change a battery on a Mercedes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you change a battery on a Mercedes?

Pain in the BUTT!!

My dad called on Friday and asked me to help him change the battery on his SLK 320. I said "What??" My dad is very mechanically incline. He's an airplane mechanic for pete sakes and he can't change a battery on his Mercedes. He should be able to do this blind folded.

So I checked it out and told him there's only 2 screws to it. But he said if I removed the battery, I have 11 sec. to install the other one or else all the programings in his Mercedes would be erase. Right now there's barely enough juice to keep the programs going.

I called the Benz dealerships and asked the tech. There's just no way around it. If I change the battery myself I would have to take it to them in order to reprogram it. And they would charge my dad $240. If they come over and change the battery themselves it would be $485-$500 (this includes their $180 battery).

I can't believe it. I told him we'll just do it ourselves. My dad plans on creating two cables that would hook up to the new batter to the car while the old one is still in there. Then we would remove the old. The rigged up cables would still be attach to the new one and once we get that new battery in we would hook up the actual cables to it and remove the rigged ones. Do you guys think this will work?

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: How do you change a battery on a Mercedes?

Sounds like it would work. Just as long as the car always has a power source.

It's rather ridiculous that the car would loose it's programming in 11 seconds, but probably just another thing they put on the car to make sure you take it in to the dealership to get raped.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

send the residnet boob a pm, he's also the resident mercedes whore

:stp:
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

hook a battery charger up to the cables in the car while you change the battery?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

The dealer quoted you close to $500?

Ewwww, what a crock of sh*t! Let me know the name of the dealer.

As for what programming might be lost..... radio ( which needs the radio code) programming of the auto windows (which can be reset right then and there) and sunroof (which you don't have).

What is your VIN/ year etc? Send me a PM with the last eight digits of the vin. Once I have that, I will put a call into work. Then, you can call Mercedes Roadside at 1-800-367-6372 and ask for the Shift Leader - mention you are a good friend of me, James Dowles. I will call them right now and let them know that you should be calling.

The roadside dept can send someone out with a new battery (they should have it on the truck) and I would expect it to be WAY cheaper than $500 and the roadside tech can program radio etc.

It is 11:15 AM here in New Jersey - I am going out for maybe 2 hrs at most - as soon as I am home I will chech this thread, once I have vin etc I can call work. I think you are in Cali so it is 8:15 am there - ewwww - thats early!
          Last edited by 12secondv6; 05-25-2008, 10:12 AM.
          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

they sell a little thing that uses a 9v battery that you can plug into the cig lighter where you shouldnt lose everything

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
              they sell a little thing that uses a 9v battery that you can plug into the cig lighter where you shouldnt lose everything
              He can't plug anything into the cig lighter and expect it to work while the battery is being changed, therefore it will be out of the car and that means anything you plug into the cig lighter wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by 12secondv6 View Post

As for what programming might be lost..... radio ( which needs the radio code) programming of the auto windows (which can be reset right then and there) and sunroof (which you don't have).

What is your VIN/ year etc? Send me a PM with the last eight digits of the vin. Once I have that, I will put a call into work. Then, you can call Mercedes Roadside at 1-800-367-6372 and ask for the Shift Leader - mention you are a good friend of me, James Dowles. I will call them right now and let them know that you should be calling.

The roadside dept can send someone out with a new battery (they should have it on the truck) and I would expect it to be WAY cheaper than $500 and the roadside tech can program radio etc.

It is 11:15 AM here in New Jersey - I am going out for maybe 2 hrs at most - as soon as I am home I will chech this thread, once I have vin etc I can call work. I think you are in Cali so it is 8:15 am there - ewwww - thats early!
                James > Mercedes dealer!!!

:)
                Last edited by kala; 05-25-2008, 11:26 AM.
                09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

there are battery savers you hook up to the battery cables while you change the battery so nothings lost. why cant you use one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by kala View Post
                    James > Mercedes dealer!!!

:)
                    haha yea... wow, i never thought changing a battery on any car would be such a PITA... i hope it works out... as to your first idea is seems like it would work... but i would talk with james

Comment

Originally posted by 12secondv6 View Post

Thanks a bunch James. I sent you an email and PM before I posted this. But I forwarded this information to my dad. I'll call him tomorrow to make sure he got it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X