noob question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question...

in cars, when they say "IT DROPPED A VALVE..." what does it exactly mean? is it bad?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
    Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Re: noob question...

It means it dropped a valve......as in the valve fell out. Goes into the combustion chamber, gets beat up by the piston/head ruins both of those, eventually gets to the crankshaft, gouges that up, ruins bearing etc etc etc. It's bad :)
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
      It means it dropped a valve......as in the valve fell out. Goes into the combustion chamber, gets beat up by the piston/head ruins both of those, eventually gets to the crankshaft, gouges that up, ruins bearing etc etc etc. It's bad :)

so in that case.... you cant use the engine in any matter?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Comment

you could tear it apart and maybe salvage the block... but it messes up a lot of s***

Comment

oh don't say a shop told you this happened and your car is ruined

Comment

Originally posted by 94kah-mer-oh View Post
            oh don't say a shop told you this happened and your car is ruined
            :( <(sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd14 View Post
              :( <(sniff)
              duuude thats horrid

Comment

oh well.... shes old.... now im thinking of putting a new engine in there... or just go with a aftermarket friendly car....

Comment

sad to hear...:(

Comment

That sux man. I too just lost my motor, but I luckily found one for super cheap in line new condition the same day :) Difference between you and me is my motor died because of me being stupid :P; I didn't drop a valve, I just misaligned the cam gear and slammed the valves against the pistons until one piston was gone, 6 pushrods were bent and 2 valves snapped :). If you pull it apart, there's chance you could reuse the block. Most likely, you're going to need new pistons, valves, push rods, heads, maybe bore it too if the valve damaged the cylinder walls. If you can find another motor for pretty cheap, I'd look into rebuilding it.
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

oh well.... shes old.... now im thinking of putting a new engine in there... or just go with a aftermarket friendly car....
                      if it were me i'd go with a new engine :D

Comment

yeah... im still looking for replacements here.... one reason i hate canada.... so im thinking of just getting a 3.8 long block or a 3.4 shortblock.... the best i found so far is a 3400 of a grand am gt for $700! :(

Comment

yeah... im still looking for replacements here.... one reason i hate canada.... so im thinking of just getting a 3.8 long block or a 3.4 shortblock.... the best i found so far is a 3400 of a grand am gt for $700! :(
                          yea, i've been thinking of a 3.8 lol

Comment

Ok, so you guys are scaring me cause in my mind if something that severe goes wrong I'll be able to hear it or notice it in some way and shut it down before some huge damage happens. What's the deal? How does this happen unnoticed?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

it wont start.... and you will notice it... imagine a valve getting beat up inside your engine... its like swords clashing..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X