Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scam -O - Shop

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
    It's called a profit margin. In order for any business to operate efficiently it must charge a markup either on the parts they sell and/or the service they provide. It's simple economics, if you can do it cheaper, faster and more efficiently then open your own shop because apparently your that good.
    Ouch!!! Actually, I am that good. Anyway, that's one hell of a markup. You think charging someone $350 for a cracked distributor cap is fair??????

I DO NOT...

:rant:

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
      Ouch!!! Actually, I am that good. Anyway, that's one hell of a markup. You think charging someone $350 for a cracked distributor cap is fair??????

I DO NOT...

You don't know if they were only planning on changing the cap or doing a complete tune up. Most shops would not only change the cap.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        You don't know if they were only planning on changing the cap or doing a complete tune up. Most shops would not only change the cap.
        You are correct, I am sure (or I hope) that they would have done a full tune up but you never know.

I saw a really bad deal at one shop I worked at. Little old lady gets her car towed to the shop because it won't start. Classic case, dead battery. The owner instructs the mechanic to R&R the battery with a new one, and R&R the alternator after painting it so it looks new. They ripped off a little old lady.

I packed up my tools and quit that same afternoon.

Comment

I DO NOT...

If it was a Honda that sounds like the price they would quote for a full distributor change. And since your that good you should have the bank-o-knowledge to know that already. Seriously though, put together a business plan, I'm sure anyone who is that good could sell a bank to get a loan. Money where the mouth is, no sense in complaining if you aren't going to resolve the issue. I mean what's the use in coming on here and complaining about a mechanic in south Florida? I live in Florida and I'll never take my car there, I'm sure no one in Wisconsin will take their car to him so really what's the use in complaining?
          Last edited by youngsc; 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM.
          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Lighten up. This is the lounge. If you don't like it just don't read it.

Comment

I was simply sharing a story with my fellow F-body owners. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                I mean what's the use in coming on here and complaining about a mechanic in south Florida?
                Oh, I forgot to mention, this was a Firestone shop. He takes the car there for regular oil changes and such. This was not a second rate shop, it is a national chain.

Anyway, he learned a lesson and will know better next time.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention, this was a Firestone shop. He takes the car there for regular oil changes and such. This was not a second rate shop, it is a national chain.

Anyway, he learned a lesson and will know better next time.
                  I've noticed the chain places are very hit or miss as far as pricing goes. There's a Tire Kingdom up the road from me and the guy there is a legit con artist in my book. I went there with an ex for her to get an oil change in her Civic (I offered to change it for her but she insisted otherwise) and as I'm watching the manager take a sample of the old oil I noticed him put small pieces of rubber in the oil. He comes walking out and tried telling her she needed more work done than the oil change. I told him I saw that and he looked like he had poo'd his pants. Oil change was suddenly on the house. If you're in the Brandon/Valrico area of Fl don't ever go to the Tire Kingdom off of Highway 60 & Mt. Carmel.

Comment

Shops with a national name have even more overhead then private shops. They have to give the owners of the name a percentage of there gross each month. Some are as high as 20%. Some places you rent from have the same deal, they get a percentage of your gross as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

i would love to work on my own cars but sometimes it's just not in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by tmon930 View Post
                        That is so true.

Comment

Originally posted by tmon930 View Post
                          me to but,
                          isn't that the way most people prefer it or are we just weird?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X