Engine suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine suggestions?

I'm building up an old s10 this summer so i can sit my camaro during the winter(the 5 month winter in ohio made this an easy decision). I'm looking to make it fast but i want to try to keep to a smaller engine to save with the damn cost of gas now. I was looking to use the gm 4.2l I6 which rates around 270-285hp stock, but it is impossible to find any mods for it. The only plus to them is that you can pick them up for like $500.
    I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a small engine that has decent potential and after-market availability? My only real goal is i want to be able to keep up with my g/f's bro and his Integra VTEC with 8lbs boost.

One engine that has kinda caught my eye is the subaru ej20tt. Not real sure how i feel about going rice though...

Ah if all else fails i'll just toss a lt1 with a powerdyne in it, but there will go the ****ing gas mileage!

Re: Engine suggestions?

Why not a 3800 series II?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

^^^x2

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
      Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

Can you give us anymore details on what you are looking for?

What kind of power range?
        What price range?
        Any year preference? ODBI or ODBII?
        Weight preference?
        Forced induction (yes, no, stock, aftermarket)?
        What kind of gas milage are you shooting for?

We can throw out a ton of suggestions, but I'm not sure it will help much unless you have a better idea of what you are looking for.

Comment

Actually, go rip out a GTP engine with the SC and go with that, or even a 3.4L for sake of the price.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
          Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird View Post
            Can you give us anymore details on what you are looking for?

What kind of power range?
            What price range?
            Any year preference? ODBI or ODBII?
            Weight preference?
            Forced induction (yes, no, stock, aftermarket)?
            What kind of gas milage are you shooting for?

We can throw out a ton of suggestions, but I'm not sure it will help much unless you have a better idea of what you are looking for.
            I'd like it to be around 200hp stock with potential to take it to 350-400hp fairly easily. Of course more is better.

Price wise i was going to go between $500-$1000 at first. I'm still in college so I was gonna use my $800 tax return to get me started. Haven't figured out yet if i'm gonna reuse the 4l60e thats in it now.

No real year preference; something a little easier to get tuned than my 3.4l would be nice.

Weight wise i really wouldn't care as long as it could get me 20-22mpg highway. I don't know if I'm smoking crack thinking i could get that with an old s10 and decent power.

I've always been partial to SC. If i went with the 3800 out of a gtp how much boost could i get out of the stock SC by increasing the pulley size?

Comment

Your on crack thinking you can do all that in under a $1000. You can't even swap it all for a grand. Let alone buying the power adders.

Comment

4.2L I6 is rated at 275hp??
                2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by Finkledbody View Post
                  Your on crack thinking you can do all that in under a $1000. You can't even swap it all for a grand. Let alone buying the power adders.
                  I'm not expecting to do this whole thing for under $1000, i'm just looking for a good engine to start with. I got the truck basically for free and my friend own's a body shop so my only cost there is gonna be paint basically. I just want to get the thing running at first then i'll start building up the power as money comes in.

Originally posted by ViperRider
                  4.2L I6 is rated at 275hp??
                  It came out in 2002 @ 270hp and 275ftlb. My dad has a 2006 @ 291hp and 277ftlb in his Trailblazer and gets 23mpg highway! So yeah, if I could get ANY mods for that engine, I'd be all over it for $500.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X