How often do you change your tranny fluid/filter? (Auto) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you change your tranny fluid/filter? (Auto)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you change your tranny fluid/filter? (Auto)

Im not asking the technical question, IE. How many miles should I?

Left and right I hear about trannys going out. Im wondering how often does everyone change thiers. I want to see those who never change it too.

>>>Ive owned may car for 1 year and have changed it twice, about once every third oil change. And Im about to do it again.

***EDIT: A breif HOW TO has been added! Post 12.***
    Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 03-20-2008, 11:22 PM.
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: How often do you change your tranny fluid/filter? (Auto)

I got my car in 2002, didn't change the tranny fluid for the first two years I owned it but only put around 10k miles on it in that time. Got it with 36k miles on it.

Had a mechanic pull the dipstick, tell me it was "Burnt" and told me never to change it or my tranny would fail. I listened to him, cause I heard the same thing from other people about "Burnt" fluid.

I'm now at 96k and started slipping. Had the fluid changed cause I figured "Can't be worse". Fixed my problem, though 1st -> 2nd shifts a little hard. Still going fine. So figure around 60k miles with no tranny fluid change.

Comment

I'm at 18k miles as a 2nd owner, and first changed it at 15k. I plan to do so every 15k miles from here on, so every 3rd oil change.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by prevarications View Post
        I'm at 18k miles as a 2nd owner, and first changed it at 15k. I plan to do so every 15k miles from here on, so every 3rd oil change.

Rick
        Good to know Im not the only one over cautious. I change it so much because I fear the death of the tranny. But instead of it being certain doom, I was hoping it to be the fault of the owners. And hoping that the constant changing will pay off.
        sigpic

Comment

yeah it definitly pays to have it changed.... we have a fleet of prolly 35 chevy trucks and we change the tranny oil every 40,000 miles.... its preserved a LOT of transmissions.... because if anyone knows anything about fleets, its that the drivers basicly drive the trucks like theyre stolen.... pedal to the floor at all times.... i would say every 3rd oil change would be a good rule of thumb for a sports car though... lol
          disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

my dad has a 94 z and never changed the tranny fluid. it made it to 194kish and went out. we changed the fluid when it started to slip and it made it a lot worse.
            Check out my car on cardomain.com!!! <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739</a>

Comment

Every 10k, or whenever I blow a transmission.

Comment

30k is a pretty reasonable rule of thumb. You might want to take it down a little bit if the car is driven hard.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

is their a thread on how to do this?? never done this but have been wanting to. Figured here would b a good place to ask

Comment

I have noticed in alot of cars, after the trany starts to slip and fluid is changed, it dies.

But the problem seems to be is that ppl wait way too long to change the filter and fluid. I guess its a good thing to fear the death of a tranny, it keeps me up on the preventive maintenance. Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin...
                    sigpic

Comment

any help ^^ this got me worried

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                        is their a thread on how to do this?? never done this but have been wanting to. Figured here would b a good place to ask
                        You need:
                        10mm Socket
                        Filter and gasket (usually comes in the same package)
                        Drain pan

Get her in the air, higher the better.

Brake loose all the bolts, but dont take them out. Next you will need to loosen bolts on one corner so you can control where the fluid goes. Continue to loosen them all the way around until no more fluid comes out (little by little). Remove the pan and dump the rest of the fluid in the drain pan. Now position the drain pan directly under the filter. Pull the filter straight down, my take some tugging. More fluid is about to come out so be prepared (this is why we moved the drain pan).

Now while the rest of the fluid is dripping out make sure the rest of the old gasket is gone. Clean where the gasket goes on the tranny and pan (believe me, you dont want your tranny to leak).

Now put your new filter in the same way the old one came out (make sure the metal ring has been slide to the top. If your filter didnt come with one, take it off the old one).

Now do the obvious and try your damnedest to line up the gasket and bolt the pan back on. Tighten all the bolts finger tight and then tighten all the way using a cris-cross patern.

A quick trick to get the gasket on, is to use a very small amount of RTV on little spots around the gasket and stick it to the tranny.

Now fill her up with fluid and keep checking the level periodically for the next few days.
                        sigpic

Comment

thank u soo much...big help....finally can do it
                          thnx

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                            thank u soo much...big help....finally can do it
                            thnx
                            Glad I could help! Im happy to see that your going to change it! Easier than it sounds. Just be prepared to get messy. Ill try to clear it up alittle more! GL!

O and Im on the forums constantly, so ask if you have any questions...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                              Glad I could help! Im happy to see that your going to change it! Easier than it sounds. Just be prepared to get messy. Ill try to clear it up alittle more! GL!

O and Im on the forums constantly, so ask if you have any questions...
                              thnx its gonna snow some more tonight so its gonna have to wait.lol dont have a garage big enough to do it either so that sux....but thnx for all the help...ive never changed it and now i have time to learn how to do it....messiness is no problem to me....cant wait to do it tho, had never been changed...thnx again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X