Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Question

I have a question regarding RAM.

I have a mother board that supports DDR2 memory, but not operating on dual channels. Can I still use dual channel DDR2 memory? I'm under the assumption that being dual channel RAM just means they are a matched set and can still be used in a single channel application. Am I correct?

Lounge Moderator

Re: RAM Question

That's right. Dual Channel packages means it's a matched set, because most motherboards get *really* touchy when you try to set dual channel mode with sticks from different runs.

It'll run just fine without dual channel.

Are you sure your MB doesn't support dual channel mode? It's very odd that a board was made with DDR2 support but not dual channel support, dual channel was pretty common by the point DDR2 took over.

Comment

I don't physically have the board yet, so I'm just going by the description. Most of the boards had dual channel list, but this one did not. It's an Asus... let me grab the model number and check it out on their site.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

You are correct! It does support dual channel. Sweet. Thanks much!

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Not a problem Bone,

ASUS is a solid brand. I usually recommend them, and use them exclusively. They may not be the fastest on the market, but they're rock solid in stability, and they usually come with most of the bells and whistles.

Plus, they have great support for their products. On my model motherboard they used a fan that alot of people complained was too noisy. They researched a replacement, offered it to people who'd already bought the board and wanted it, and revised the board so the problem was solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatt9
            ASUS is a solid brand. I usually recommend them, and use them exclusively. They may not be the fastest on the market, but they're rock solid in stability, and they usually come with most of the bells and whistles.
            :tup: My custom built home computer with an ASUS board has been going strong for over six years. Never turn it off, never had a problem.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

I agree. I'm on an Asus now. My wife is still using an old 1.3GHz Celeron HP. I figured it was time to upgrade her.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

My custom built computer has been running strong with no problems for several years now. Most of the internals are Asus. Rock solid brand.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Yup, I've always run either Asus or MSI.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X