V8 gas mileage is not the same as V6 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V8 gas mileage is not the same as V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 gas mileage is not the same as V6

I went with a friend in his C5 and we travelled 60-70 miles up to a place where we needed to drop something off. And then back again.

He was going btw. 70-80mph and we got some mild traffic but not too bad.

Anyway, his gas tank was 3/4th full, by the time we finished the trip it was 3/8th close to 1/4th left. Now the thing is he was not romping on the car. He was driving it like an old granny.

The C5 has 65k on the Odometer and it is in great shape.

I ask him what kind of gas mileage he gets...response: "don't ask." He said it gets worst if he romps it.

Now compare this to my SC Firebird and to how my stock Bird used to be I would say my gas mileage is WAAAYY better than this.

So whoever said that V8 gets the same gas mileage as a V6-think again.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: V8 gas mileage is not the same as V6

I have a friend with a 2000 C5 vert, M6, borla exhaust and CAI are his only mods, he gets around 27-28 on the highway. That's not too far off our V6's. Anytime you go mashing the gas on a v8 all bets are off.
    My car used to get better than 30 on the highway I think it's around 28 now of course I have added some weight with sub, amp, SFC's, 1LE springs, big front sway and bilsteins, (and some beer and pizza on my part) so I dunno guess it's all relative.
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

my mpg is just fine, and i have lead foot.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

My 99 Z28 LS1/A4/3.23's with a TON of miles gets BETTER mpg than my V6 ever did
        1999 Camaro Z/28
        1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

you can't make a judgement from one car... some people don't change filters and oils... and some people have internal problems that effect gas mileage.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
            you can't make a judgement from one car... some people don't change filters and oils... and some people have internal problems that effect gas mileage.
            Actually this guy is pretty good with cars. He maintains them himself.

But you're right.

I should rephrase what I said. When we started the tank was almost full. When we came back the tank was almost empty.

Comment

LOL. interesting

'95 3.8L A4 PGM. & '95 LT1 M6 PGM. :burn:

Comment

Both of my LS1's got better gas mileage than my V6 ever did.
                2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

How is that possible?
                  2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

if u granny it, it takes ALOT less work to get the V8 moving.

down the highway, going 70 in 5th u can do like 1000RPM lol

my V6 at 70 is at like 2300ish, but im an A4 with 3.42s

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
                      if u granny it, it takes ALOT less work to get the V8 moving.

down the highway, going 70 in 5th u can do like 1000RPM lol
                      6th

:)
                      09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                      sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

dude sorry but you are full of ****... I have had my dad's 2k1 6-speed ls1...

same driving I have done in my g/f z24 cavelier, my 3.8L, my 5.0, even close to my G6.

the C5 got better gasmileage. I got 32mpg highway babying my G6 from orlando to Ft. lauderdale, I got 34, in the C5, and guess what... I romped the **** out of it and took it up to 150ish twice, and cruised at like 85/90.

Great aerodynamics, plus 6-speed, plus, passing all the normal traffice never passing 3200 rpms = good gas mileage.

I don't know about autos, but 6-speed ls1 is a fuel sipper by my standards.

Comment

I'm gonna have to raise the flag here as well. Something is wrong with that car. My 00 C5 with borla/cai A4 2.73's averaged about 30mpg cruising on the highway. Tease can back me up on this, going from her house in Lombard IL, to her parents place in Janesville WI, I averaged 32mpg doing 80 most of the way.
                          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

probably a hybrid....:slap:

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                            Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Comment

Is like being crucified for saying something bad about LS1. I forgot LS1 is still god.

Vettes do get decent gas mileage here's the stat:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/15600.shtml

But I highly doubt it if it gets better gas mileage than a V6 like most people have said in the past.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X