• Show
Clear All

Re: helmets?

ebay!

used helmets ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
      The cheapest Snell rated helmet I could find was mine and it was $145. I've never seen one that was $70
      what they were talking about are probably wal-mart motorcycle helmets, which are NOT Snell rated/tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
        what they were talking about are probably wal-mart motorcycle helmets, which are NOT Snell rated/tested.

Bingo!

its not Snell rated. I am tlaking motorcycle helmets which is allowed I believe in certain racing, primarily autocrossing(main reason I got a helmet)

not like many of my cars were "scary" to take down the track.

If I were to buy one, I would get a Snell one for sure, don't even play with a motorcycle helet. Only reason I got mine was it was a pretty trusted used helmet fro $25.

Also I would be weary of used helmets, most helmets are not affective if they have been dropped bashed or beat up a little. Which sort of defeats the purpose of a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT

Also I would be weary of used helmets, most helmets are not affective if they have been dropped bashed or beat up a little. Which sort of defeats the purpose of a helmet.
          depends on the definition of "used." If someone wore it a few times for some high 13-second, accident-free passes, then it's fine...if someone been in 4 wrecks in single digit cars with it, you'd probably want to fork over the cash for a new one

Comment

yep at atco you have to wear them no matter what. mine is hjc. and was about 145.
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
              depends on the definition of "used." If someone wore it a few times for some high 13-second, accident-free passes, then it's fine...if someone been in 4 wrecks in single digit cars with it, you'd probably want to fork over the cash for a new one
              I agree but I have been to the track alot and i see alot of guys with some used helmet form like the 80s. Which I wouldn't trust.

Helmets are only listed for a certain SNELL year rating. I think its every 5 years.

Comment

well even still 145 is far from 700 I was seeing lol...good to know though...even though for some reason I would think that if you crashed running a 9 second car, wouldnt you be dead?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
                  well even still 145 is far from 700 I was seeing lol...good to know though...even though for some reason I would think that if you crashed running a 9 second car, wouldnt you be dead?

It doesn't have to be a crash in a 9 second car... if a helmet gets dropped dinged up and abused for awhile, no major crashes just rough aorund the garage/track use it will lose its SNELL rating.

I have a used helmet, but I knew the owners form new. Trustworthy... now picking up one off of ebay.... I wouldn't trust that.

Comment

even though for some reason I would think that if you crashed running a 9 second car, wouldnt you be dead?
                    I have a friend who has a single-digit 4th gen. Formula, who hit an oil slick at the 1/4-mile trap and only had a mild concussion and was a bit sore. That wasn't all credited to the helmet, since he had a full cage, 5 pt. harness, etc etc

Comment

Current rules state a minimum Snell 2000 rating. NHRA tracks require a helmet at 13.99 or faster, IHRA is 13.49. I've seen plenty of HJC helmets on ebay in the $100 range new. It's highly recommended that you go to a local retailer and try a few on to get the right size. The wrong size helmet can do more harm than good! Also, I'd NEVER rent/share/borrow a helmet. I'm no germ freak, but you sweat ALOT in them.
                      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

so How many of you guys where helmets when you race? where did you get em from, and about how much do these things actually cost?
                        Black Bell open face, Snell 2005. Many people recommend an open-face helmet in a car with air bags. I have no idea what it cost - it was a gift, but I'm sure you can look it up online.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
                          ebay!

used helmets ftw!
                          You're wearing this guy's helmet

Used helmets FTL

:)
                          09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                          sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

wear a leather aviator helmet!

Comment

you can always wear a plastic grocery bag 8)
                              Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

Originally posted by v6mOtOrhEAdftOp
                                you can always wear a plastic grocery bag 8)
                                Buhahahahhahah

:)
                                09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                                sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X