Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics

Well i'm typing a paper on Enron and its ethical issues. Hope you haven't already clicked the X after that statement :D

I trying to discuss that even though some actions are legal by law, they are still morally wrong. But after deciding that something is wrong or not (ethical or not) "What determines rather something is right or wrong?"

One could say religion but religions differ every mile... one could say society but German Nazi's prove that wrong... so what determines whether or not something is ethical? I've got 6 pages so far but I'm getting too wordy towards the end and my mind is jumbling back and forth that * is wrong but why is it wrong or is it right since there is no wrong....
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Re: Ethics

Ethics to me is basically anything, any action, any reaction, that can effect anyones life other than yourself. Its always been a balancing act. I think anything that is detrimental to another persons life or lifestyle is ethically wrong.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

What's right and wrong differs greatly from person to person. I think what decides is truly just the person themselves and the certain influences they have, like parents, friends and family.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well religion can affect your definition of right and wrong... family values and society as well...

In conclusion of my paper, I tried to convince the reader that the best way to judge the Enron ethical issues was to judge them on their OWN ethical views. Enron had a code of ethics for the business and I judged them by their own ethics.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Wrestling with that eternal question has led people to different solutions.

Many turn to the Bible. Although it can be "interpreted" there are words there. Believing that every word is truth from a higher power can bring this under control for many.

At the other end of the spectrum is "moral relativism". Morality is defined not by absolute rules, but by the effects your specific actions have on other people and society.

And there's a host of things in between.
          2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I definitely agree religion is one of the biggest if not the biggest factor in it, but i figured you already touched on the topic. And I believe most of the time, religious views come from family or friends, or at least start there.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Society shapes reality. Society shapes whats right and wrong.

Public opinion does not necessarily have to be morally correct.

I could go on for hours, I've done tons upon tons of thinking on this subject and the like
              Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400

I could go on for hours, I've done tons upon tons of thinking on this subject and the like
                You could start with society but who says soceity is correct???

There is always a contradiction. No matter where your ethics derive... what determines it? If your ethics come from family... whose to say your family is right? Same with society and religion. Really there is no answer.

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
                  You could start with society but who says soceity is correct???

There is always a contradiction. No matter where your ethics derive... what determines it? If your ethics come from family... whose to say your family is right? Same with society and religion. Really there is no answer.
                  Well it seems as if you know the answer then. There isn't one. You just answered it yourself.

I said society shapes ethics because what the majority says, goes.

I, personally, feel that ethics are bull****. Really, anything goes. Back in the day when humans still worked off of instinct, anything went. Now, since we have the ability to think we just make things extremely complicated. Why does any of it matter? What is something being labeled right or wrong going to change? Do you think just because someone says something is wrong, that that is going to stop anybody from doing it?

Look at any set of laws. Any law that has ever been made has been broken. In today's society what we (actually they, the govt.) deem unethical was not unethical years ago.

Ethics change with time, as does everything.
                  Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400

I dont think societ shapes what is right or wrong. Like he said early, American society views what happend with the Nazis as wrong. But Nazis, neo-nazis, and other various groups sees it as ok, nothing bad at all. And are they not apart of societ? They may be a disgrace to societ but they are still apart of it. So I dont think you can say society shapes what is right or wrong.

To me right or wrong is your interpertation, and how you mold that interpertation is how, you our brought up, it maybe be your religon or personal expierences. But I do not think there is a set in stone right or wrong. All that is up to debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas02Fbody
                      I dont think societ shapes what is right or wrong. Like he said early, American society views what happend with the Nazis as wrong. But Nazis, neo-nazis, and other various groups sees it as ok, nothing bad at all. And are they not apart of societ? They may be a disgrace to societ but they are still apart of it. So I dont think you can say society shapes what is right or wrong.

To me right or wrong is your interpertation, and how you mold that interpertation is how, you our brought up, it maybe be your religon or personal expierences. But I do not think there is a set in stone right or wrong. All that is up to debate.
                      Well, you took my of society to mean every single persons collective opinion. What I meant was American society shapes American ethics, european society shapes European ethics, etc.

Cultural relativism seems to be a good idea, but it really isn't.

Why even debate it at all? We know that there is no set in stone answer. People need to realize that ethics (whats right and wrong) is really about how you're actions are perceived by others. Not a single person will ever be able to please every person alive (well, except for vanbibber, he's a bigger whore than Paris hilton)

Comment

I would even break it down more than American Society shapes Americas ethics (same with any country, just using this as an example). In America alone people argue what is right or wrong, some christian conservative might say abortion is immoral and at the same time you might get a liberal saying its not (sorry for stereotyping).

Comment

"A man should be upright; not kept upright."

Marcus Aurelius
                          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

The APA has a great standard of ethics and explains it quite well. It is somewhat more psychologically based however, ethics holds true despite the field of study.
                            For me I believe ethics comes from those in power; most who ponder ethics are well educated and make determinations based on previous knowledge and experiences (historically). I do not believe we can investigate today's ethical issues properly and concisely until we have learned from the situation that brought upon the ethical concerns. Sure Enron sucked, but can't it be too early to determine the ethical concerns as a whole? Have we learned enough from that situation to make the right decisions and decide what was ethically wrong? (without writing a damn book trying to explain every little thing that pissed someone off) Good luck on your paper btw and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this...

Comment

worms, meet can.. now get back in!
                              FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                              Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                              Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X