engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

I have been doing some reading and some searching and found that most people say it's not worth the time and money to swap an lt1 into a v6 f-body. But my questions is what about an old school carborated 350 or 383 strocker or some thing of that nature woud this be a more worth while and effective swap?

Re: engine swap

If the body is mint, then swap anything you want into it. Beyond that, V6's take some beatings.
    FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
    Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
    Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

anything can be worth it if you get the right price on all your parts. just not the 3.4 up to the 3.8. just a waste of time! unless everything is free
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Well i'm pretty sure i'm getting the car it's self for free or next to nothing bc it's my cousins and he blew it up and it's been sitting by their barn for a few years now and they've haven't touched it.

Comment

Why would you want to swap a V8 into a V6 fbody?.

by time you invest all that money and time into the project you could just by a V8powered bird insead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera
            Why would you want to swap a V8 into a V6 fbody?.

by time you invest all that money and time into the project you could just by a V8powered bird insead.
            depends on what your goal is..
            i think what hes saying is logical,especially if you are paying for someone else to do it because of costs involved compared to costs for buying a USED ls1 camaro/bird.

but then there are problems with buying a used vehicles,parts are going to need to be replaced(maintenance)...depends on what you are getting,you know what you currently have and what you have already replaced...if youve already ivested alot into your v6 (not including the engine) it might make alot of sense to swap in a new engine.

suspension,sound system,paint,appearance etc.

personally im saving for a ls7 to swap into the car,something you cant really get without buying a very expensive car which i couldnt get..but i can get the engine itself.
            the engine+installation and all the upgrades necessary costs as much as a new car basically (30k'ish),but id rather do this than buy a new car(that doesnt have a cool engine),and i can do it piece by piece without paying for financing.

i think it just depends on what you want.
            Last edited by sedain; 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

does everyone forget this is a hobby to many??? If he's doing it himself and getting the car for almost nothing, he's out very little. Remember, it's a hobby, not a career. Have fun with it. No one can put a price on it.
              FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
              Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
              Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Welcome, fonzie! :wavey:

If the car is virtually free, you could swap whatever engine you want into it and really not be out too much. Go LS1, LT1, or any carburated engine. It all depends how much time and effort you have to put into this.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

the biggest problem that you're gonna run into is the electronics. If you just wanna throw an engine in there and jury rig a radio, that wont be that hard, but trying to get the computer to play nice with a v-8 will be "fun".
                  OR, you could get a computer from a v-8 f-body, which would make your life alot easier, but there'll still be those things that dont go right.

If you wanna do it as a hobby, dont lose sight of that. It'll be fun and rewarding but its gonna require a lot more attention than just buying a z28. It'll depend on how well you do the job to be sure, but still, it wont be quite as reliable as stock will.

There's plenty of room under there for a v-8 (obviously) so i'd go for it if you got the time, money and tools.
                  2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by fonzie
                    383 strocker
                    nice
                    <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X