So...I turned 18...NEED HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...I turned 18...NEED HELP

I'm not sure if this is going to get locked or not...but I needed a place to vent/get opinions, so here goes. First topic...the camaro (you guys are gonna hate me). So started my project to put a carbed 350 sbc in the camaro, got the engine and tore it down inspected everything and decided it was clean enough to put back together with some new seals and bearings. So I'm driving the car around with the 6 still in it and hit an orange tree!!!! so thats a new front end, and needs paint...so i get the genius idea to do it myself! But, heres the problem, I was running low on cash so I needed something cheap...Rattlecans! so I paint the car with roughly 12 cans of black gloss paint...Didn't work, after wetsanding it definitely was not thick enough...so I'm browsing the internet and find a 50$ roller method, it seemed like it would work in theory, roll very thinned out paint on your car then wetsand. So I'm rolling this paint on my car and i buff out the quarter and it looks great! especially for 50$...well, what I hadn't taken into consideration is the fact that i had spent maybe 3 hrs wetsanding that panel to perfection...I then realized I had to do the whole car this way (I faint here). So i wetsand, buff, polish...Damn, not even...More paint, wetsand..sanded through...So I get really frustrated at this point, and just say screw it i need something to drive. Then I figure out my brand new rear end went out (this is the second one that went, first wasn't my fault) I forgot to add lsd additive to the diff lube. So now I have a crappy paint job, one wheel wonder.

Ok, time for the second topic (and mods this thread has no outcome on my decision, I just wanted 3rd party perspective)...School, first let me start with the story. When I was in 4th grade, my mom pulled me out of school in favor of being homeschooled, which at the time seemed like a very nice thing...Everything went good for the first year, then I started going into the teenage/rebelious phase and just refused do any school whatsoever, thus resulting in me becoming very far behind...fast forward modern day, I just turned 18 a few days ago and never was able to catch up that time I had gotten behind. Now I have to pay my parents back the car loan, find a good job, and finish high school. So heres where I really need your guys opinions...lately I have been considering getting my G.E.D instead of my diploma, I've researched it, and I'm not seeing any real negative sides to it. And for the field I'm trying to get into does not require much in the way of diploma vs. GED. So if anyone has any input I would really love to get some perspective. :wavey:

Re: So...I turned 18...NEED HELP

your 18, your supposed to be a man now. Make your own god damn decisions!

sorry had to say it.. uhh dont get a ged, a lot of jobs look down on it
    WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

well i personally believe that a diploma is better than a GED but if your field doesn't care and your that far behind you should just go for the GED. and sorry about the car.. that really sucks

Comment

HMMMM, i have an 89 firebird and will be doing that 50 dollar method, do you have pics of yours?

Comment

i can take some pics, one thing I would definitely suggest is, when you think the paint is thin enough, add more thinner...and I hope you have alot of patience. Oh, forgot to mention...hit the orlando auto show this weekend, got to sit in a couple zo6's, although they didnt bring the camaro concept (WTF ). Also, a friend of mine was remarking on how clean and covered the engine bay of a lexus is, and I said yeah, but I bet it's a pain to work on, what if i wanted to turbo it? Just then the lady on the podium with the car says "well why would you want to make this car any faster its got a 416 hp, 4.0l v8, and does 0-60 in forgot what she said"...I then remarked back with "wow, how long did it take you to memorize the brochure?"...and she's basically yelling at this point saying "well how much faster would you want it?", I said "what if I wanted to make it faster than that zo6?"...She responds with "well, now you're comparing apples to oranges", and I just blatently stated that "what if I wanted to make the apple faster than the orange"...Mind you she was wearing a microphone and the small audience she had was listening the whole time...:rolleyes:

Comment

diploma vs GED who gives a **** without a college education

Get whatever you need to get into a community college and go from there
            1999 Camaro Z/28
            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

^very good point

Comment

diploma still looks better than a GED. if its an option, take that route.

but of course, advanced education is really where its at these days.. even if its a trade degree.. you can never have enough schooling..
                Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

You gotta watch out for those damn Orange trees that just sprout right out in the middle of US27 overnight!

I hear clermont has a real big problem with trees growing in the middle of roads
                  *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

If you do decide to take your GED and not get a diploma.. Eh it's what I did. I'm lucky enough to have a father who is a self employed... employer.. that employed me hah. But the GED test is absolutely retarded. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to pass it the first time through without studying one bit. Then again. That's the easy route. And it relates to that saying.. "You get what you pay for"

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I'm not sure what field your wanting to get into but it can't be that great if they dont care if you have GED or diploma. Hell even Mcdonalds managers have diplomas. Also your only 18, alot can change in your field so you should leave options open and not sell yourself short, get the diploma. If your gonna go to college then you could get GED and go to college and that would make up the diffrence.

I can tell you from personal experience that you can do good without college but its not easy and you have to really apply yourself and by your thread and the fact that your thinking of giving up on diploma I don't get the impression your going to apply yourself. I didn't go to college but did go to military and received schooling which landed me the job I have now doing electrical testing as a contractor. I make $20.00 an hour and work alot of overtime but the fact is until I go to school and get at least an associates degree my chances of being hired full time are slim to none. Not that I can't but it makes it much more difficult. You need to get your diploma, you'll look back on it and be glad you did.
                      Originally posted by kala
                      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                      parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98
                        You gotta watch out for those damn Orange trees that just sprout right out in the middle of US27 overnight!

I hear clermont has a real big problem with trees growing in the middle of roads
                        haha, don't ask...as for attending some college, I've though about possibly attending a community college. The field I'm really looking at getting into is car customizing/performance shop...Trust me, I'm better with the fabrication part than the bodywork. :rolleyes: I called Katech, which in case you guys didn't know builds race car engines and asked what they looked for when they hire, and they just said I should attend S.A.M. Also, I'm getting the impression that most of you think I wan't to get my GED as kind of a copout...I can assure you thats not the case, I've just really thought alot about what I want to do...And I just can't seem to justify the fact that I would have to spend 2 more years finishing high school, when I could just get my GED and start my career. I do appreciate all the input you've given, it's really given me some perspective on what most people think of a GED.

Comment

Seriously you need to learn the idea of stop when your behind because it won't get any better.
                          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradition_F
                            haha, don't ask...as for attending some college, I've though about possibly attending a community college. The field I'm really looking at getting into is car customizing/performance shop...Trust me, I'm better with the fabrication part than the bodywork. :rolleyes: I called Katech, which in case you guys didn't know builds race car engines and asked what they looked for when they hire, and they just said I should attend S.A.M. Also, I'm getting the impression that most of you think I wan't to get my GED as kind of a copout...I can assure you thats not the case, I've just really thought alot about what I want to do...And I just can't seem to justify the fact that I would have to spend 2 more years finishing high school, when I could just get my GED and start my career. I do appreciate all the input you've given, it's really given me some perspective on what most people think of a GED.

I can give you my two cents about this one. IF you want to go to a community college and cars are your thing check out SCC we have one of the best automotive schools in the country. I know it's not customizing or body work so much but the placement is in the 95+ percent range and most of the dealership jobs from my understanding are in the 13+ an hour range. That wouldn't be too bad for being 20 when you graduate.
                            Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

get your ged and get into the millarty and clean your act up a little. don't look for the cheap way out of things. do it right and get your *** kicked in the process
                              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X