so heres my dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so heres my dilemma

ive got a 98 camaro with about 145k miles on it. I cant decide if I should put much money into it or if I shouldnt bother because of the high miles. Ive never kept a car for more than 5 or 6 months just because I like to sell mine and get new cars. In a couple years ill be getting married and ill have to get a different car anyways because my girlfriend cant drive a stick and doesnt want to learn, so I dont know if I should just keep the camaro till then or not. so basically what Im asking is, given all regular maintanance is done and its well taken care of, do camaros usually last real long?

Re: so heres my dilemma

They have one of the best V6's in the world from what I hear

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I believe the 3800 Series II engine was one of the Top 10 engines of the century. The motor is worn out, but it really depends on what you do to it. Some people forget, that some parts are required to replace in order to get the maximum benefit from another. If you were wanting to do a turbo for example, you're probably not going to want to use the stock bottom end, but thats up to you. With the miles on it now, I wouldnt be too shy of doing what you want, just be careful and make sure you do the right mods to support whatever else you are doing.
      1995 Pontiac Firebird
      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Personally, I don't know that I would try to make it a record breaking track car at this point, but on average, these engines will definitely last much longer than 145k as long as they are maintained
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121
          given all regular maintanance is done and its well taken care of, do camaros usually last real long?
          Yes. What are you trying to do to the car? Remember you will never get back the money you put into it.
          2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

yea, they last a long time... but i wouldn't invest tons of money in it... you could save up and swap engines when it dies

Comment

these powertrains are beasties. The platform behind them is mediocre, but as far as the engine/tranny living for (almost) ever, f-body is the way to go
              2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121
                my girlfriend cant drive a stick and doesnt want to learn
                Keep the car and get a new girlfriend? :)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
                  Keep the car and get a new girlfriend? :)
                  i agree haha

but the 3.8 in my car has 140,000 miles on it, and the things i do to it... i still cant believe it is still going as good as it is

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

not a camaro but my friend had a minivan with the 3800 in it.

Jumps, Off-Road Rally Racing, Neutral Drops, Drifting, went on a 4000 mile trip with damn near ~1500 lbs of luggage/people and it still runs great w/ almost 200K miles
                    1999 Camaro Z/28
                    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

awesome, thats what I wanted to hear. thanks

Comment

and by the way, I wasnt talking about turning into a wicked track car. just making it into a fairly quick car.

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
                          not a camaro but my friend had a minivan with the 3800 in it.

Jumps, Off-Road Rally Racing, Neutral Drops, Drifting, went on a 4000 mile trip with damn near ~1500 lbs of luggage/people and it still runs great w/ almost 200K miles

lol thats funny, i had a friend that did the exact same thing with his minivan. transmission finally went out on it :banana:
                          1999 v6 Camaro M5
                          Automatic to Manual converted
                          Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                          !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

3800 II is the shi*. Bulletproof engine (even though Eric will deny :rolleyes:). I recently sold my 3800 and it ran just as smooth/fast as it was in the year it came out.

:)
                            Last edited by kala; 11-12-2007, 12:00 AM.
                            09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                            sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X