Has any one a car salesman(person) or have done it before? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one a car salesman(person) or have done it before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one a car salesman(person) or have done it before?

There's a dealer in my place that's like less than a block away called Victor's GMC, Buick and Pontiac Dealer and they are hiring salespeople. You don't have to be experienced or anything. They'll do all the training plus a $500.00 incentive bonus.

I have some idea as to what they go through and how they get paid but I was wondering if this is a good job to get into it? Because I would love to work close to home and plus to work along side cars that I love.

Should I look into it or not?
    Hell yeah, go check it out.
    43.75%
    Hell no, it's a waste of time.
    56.25%

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: Has any one a car salesman(person) or have done it before?

Although I would hate the thought of working as a salesperson, I say it can't hurt to check it out. It takes a "different" kind of person to be a salesman though. One thing I'd try and find out is how well their sales are going. I was talking to a salesman at a Chevy dealer yesterday and he said their sales are way down and it's slow. I could see it being extremely boring at times which is probably why these guys sit on the phone all day calling and bothering potential buyers to make a sale. I believe that most of the their money is made through commission too. So you'll have to sell a certain number of cars to make a decent salary.
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i used to deal cars. i was 17 and did it under the table. i was actually pretty good. but they try and teach you to be the SCUM of the earth. too much dignity for that kind of work

and usually car dealers replace the entire staff every 9 months anyway(becuz dealers suck)

Comment

They sell the same car to different people for different amounts of money.

So, much (not all) of being a "good" car salesman is using sales techniques to get the most money out of the customer that you can. At many dealerships that includes selling overpriced add ons like "fabric protection", etc.

If that's OK with you, go for it. If not, talk to an existing salesperson and see if the dealer's like that. If so, spare yourself the time and trouble.

I worked for a tax preparer for a little while. Their immediate refund program amounted to an overpriced loan. They said I didn't have to sell it, just offer it to the customer. The form for the customer had the interest rate (which was very high) in bold type. Customers still took it. The lure of walking out with a check was too great. I couldn't tell them it was a bad idea, obviously. It was one of the reasons I stopped.
        Last edited by V6Bob; 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM.
        2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Depends on how they pay. My Unlce works for Ford, and he makes salary + commission. So, even if he doesn't sell any cars, he knows he's gong to take home some money.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Been there, done that. Bust outs are the only way to make money. You have to LIVE at the dealership. 12 hour days every day. Days off? HA! And you ALWAYS have to take the last up that saunters onto the lot at 905pm. Never again. I'd rather stick my junk in a meat grinder! At the Jeep dealership I worked at for about a month, you weren't allowed inside unless you had an up (potential customer). If it rained, you were allowed inside to make calls to your clients. If you didn't make calls, you went back outside.
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

i'd say go for it. i mean you'll come out with at least 500 bucks.

if i didn't have my career i think that i would try it. my family tells me all the time that i would be best car sales man lol. i could sell anything to anyone lol. give me a bright blue suit and i'll be set
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I guess it depends how bad you need the job. Like these guys are saying its probably not that great of a job since you gotta talk ppl into buying things they probably don't need and sales aren't easy to come by. But if its a decent dealership and you need the job bad enough, why not? At least give it a shot and then you can be the type of person to give advice online when ppl ask about whether that line of work is worthwhile.

Comment

I love to sell cars and anything in general, but I wouldn't do it for my career.

I was in a special Business program at MSU, everyone is so damn self-centered money hungry in the business world.

It's up to you just don't become the typical greedy business man...

just my 2 cents
                  1999 Camaro Z/28
                  1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

i sold cars for a few months last year. 7/hr plus commision. once you exceeded whatever you made for 7/hr from commissions, you didnt get paid the hourly rate.

i got fired for being late one time. its a strict business. and they go through car salesman like you change your underwear

you screw people out of money for a living. its not a good feeling. but if you can sell...you really make a lot of money...if it's a slow month...you can also starve.

but guys there had been doin it for years making anywhere from 40-100k a year. and after a while if you are the top salesman and you stay there you might get lucky enough to make sales manager after about 10 years and get a salary of around 130k a year.

the hours are crazy too. especially when you get someone to buy a car 5 mins til the place closes and you take 2-3 hours getting them done.
                    i.e. convince the sale, make sure their credit will go through..then they go back and talk to the finance guy who tries to sell them all the add ons warranties etc...then you gotta get the car and take all the stickers off of it put the plates on etc. etc.

and it can be very boring sitting around..but i mean its not that bad.

Comment

car salesmen = scum of the earth!

In my career... I enjoy crushing them when they lie to customers
                      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X