how to launch a stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to launch a stick

on sunday i will be taking my car to the track and i have never raced before in a stick so i just want to ask for some advice on how to do it. thanks

Re: how to launch a stick

dont start stalling up speed until you see the tree start to drop. Pull up to the line, as soon as it starts to drop, build up rpms, but keep on the clutch. Depending on how your car is geared and the tires you have you can completely let off when you see green, or try and let off gradually so you dont hop/spin, but you want to build up a little stall speed.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
      dont start stalling up speed until you see the tree start to drop. Pull up to the line, as soon as it starts to drop, build up rpms, but keep on the clutch. Depending on how your car is geared and the tires you have you can completely let off when you see green, or try and let off gradually so you dont hop/spin, but you want to build up a little stall speed.
      ok i have a few ? first where should i have my rmps at? and am i going to be in first when im buliding up the rpms? some one told me to rev the motor throw it in first and let off the clutch real fast? thanks for your help btw

Comment

hmm, ive neevr heard of launching it like that. I just stall up rpms to about 2300-2000 or so, start low so you can get a feel for where it wants to launch at without to much spin.

Comment

I forgot what I launched my 3.4L at... but what I say, 3-3.5k and feather the clutch out quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4
            ok i have a few ? first where should i have my rmps at? and am i going to be in first when im buliding up the rpms? some one told me to rev the motor throw it in first and let off the clutch real fast? thanks for your help btw
            that doesn't make any sense. if you have your foot on the clutch, then why leave it out of gear? that's just a waste.

The 3.4 makes peak horsepower in the high RPMS, so you'll want to launch up there. I've tried 3, 4 and 5K. My best results came from 5K. Feather the throttle and clutch to get the best hookup.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
              that doesn't make any sense. if you have your foot on the clutch, then why leave it out of gear? that's just a waste.

The 3.4 makes peak horsepower in the high RPMS, so you'll want to launch up there. I've tried 3, 4 and 5K. My best results came from 5K. Feather the throttle and clutch to get the best hookup.

ehh I think thats to high...

I say ~3-3.5k when the bottom part of the RPM range where the motor starts to pull. So the car starts at the powerrange and goes... Obviously on how you let off on the clutch the RPMs might dip slightly.

the 3.4L doesn't make most its power in upper RPMs, honestly I think it was a common misconception with the 3.4L to really rev the motor out... It think I shifted at around 5k(well shift before, but actual shift occured at around 5k)

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4
                how to launch a stick
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QAQKN1Aqc
                ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
                  wow... i don't think thats what this thread was about...:)

Comment

I spin out when launching my 3.8 anywhere around 3k. 2k is much better and just play around (all cars are different depending on mods and wear) and you will find a comfortable rpm range. Nice sticky tires will help you out alot as well :D
                    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                      the 3.4L doesn't make most its power in upper RPMs, honestly I think it was a common misconception with the 3.4L to really rev the motor out... It think I shifted at around 5k(well shift before, but actual shift occured at around 5k)
                      The desktop dyno I have for my car (slightly modded, and yeah, take the desktop dyno with a grain of salt) says I make peak torque between 3 - 5 and peak HP at 5,500. I don't have the dyno for a stocker though. I got my best launches from up there, but could be my style or mods. who knows.

Typically, I shift around 4K. At the strip, 5K.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
                        I spin out when launching my 3.8 anywhere around 3k. 2k is much better and just play around (all cars are different depending on mods and wear) and you will find a comfortable rpm range. Nice sticky tires will help you out alot as well :D

Thats where feathering the clutch comes to lay... I have launched my 3.8L several times... at 3-3.5k and deadhooked, cutting 2.0s.... on crappy street tires.

As for my car, I had not signigicant research just raced it alot, until I found what combo made the car move pretty quick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X