putting down your pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: putting down your pet.

I have something very similar, but it's a rabbit and not a dog. When I used to live with my parents, we use to have a large Himalayan Rabbit. It's bigger than a cat and it had a similar situation. It was 8 years old already, which was beyond the normal lifespan of the Rabbit.

One morning my dad found him on the floor and he thought it was dead, but no his rear end was infested with maggots and larva. I dip the rabbit in the water and drowned the maggots. Then we took it to the vet and they removed the rest. Later on the rabbit developed testicular problem which it got big like golf balls. The doctors said putting him down because they can't operate, but my mom who is a strong Catholic opposed it. She took care of that rabbit and eventhough it couldn't move around anymore.

I swear my mom prolonged that rabbit's life by another 2 years. The rabbit was in pain but my mom positioned him where he wasn't in any pain. He ate and got fat and he still loves being petted. I can honestly say that it was a happy rabbit when it passed away all because my mom loved him unconditionally.

I'm not big on euthanasia of any kind. If the doctor can prolong your dog's life and make it painfree thru med. then I say go for it. It may not be as active as before but it can still show a lot of affection.

When I think about putting a dog down I think of that guy in the book, "Of Mice and Men." I was deeply move by that part of the story.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor
      I have something very similar, but it's a rabbit and not a dog. When I used to live with my parents, we use to have a large Himalayan Rabbit. It's bigger than a cat and it had a similar situation. It was 8 years old already, which was beyond the normal lifespan of the Rabbit.

One morning my dad found him on the floor and he thought it was dead, but no his rear end was infested with maggots and larva. I dip the rabbit in the water and drowned the maggots. Then we took it to the vet and they removed the rest. Later on the rabbit developed testicular problem which it got big like golf balls. The doctors said putting him down because they can't operate, but my mom who is a strong Catholic opposed it. She took care of that rabbit and eventhough it couldn't move around anymore.

I swear my mom prolonged that rabbit's life by another 2 years. The rabbit was in pain but my mom positioned him where he wasn't in any pain. He ate and got fat and he still loves being petted. I can honestly say that it was a happy rabbit when it passed away all because my mom loved him unconditionally.

I'm not big on euthanasia of any kind. If the doctor can prolong your dog's life and make it painfree thru med. then I say go for it. It may not be as active as before but it can still show a lot of affection.

When I think about putting a dog down I think of that guy in the book, "Of Mice and Men." I was deeply move by that part of the story.
      i read that same book too... wow, poor lenny, i just don't think i could do that to somebody...

Comment

Sorry about your loss, but you did the right thing. We have a mutt at my dad's house and she's going on 15 years old now. She has arthritis in her hips and usually stays under the porch all day long. She may come out for an hour a day to eat and stuff.... if that.

I think it will come time to put her down pretty soon. I think about it randomly and it kills me. She's been the best dog anyone could ask. She even took down another dog that came towards my sister one year. The dog ran at my sister growling because she hit it with a rock (she was young and stupid) and then our dog took off and bit the hell out of that dog. When I stayed at my mom's house for month without seeing her and got upset with her... she still waited for me and wanted my attention. You can't beat the love of an animal.

On another note... my dog is getting tired of the puppies we have. It almost time to give them away. If anyone around Ky is interested then let me know. Hope you and your family will feel better knowing you did the right thing for the dog. To keep her alive would be selfish imo and by putting her down, you are getting rid of the pain she was in.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor

I'm not big on euthanasia of any kind. If the doctor can prolong your dog's life and make it painfree thru med. then I say go for it.
          I should have added that to my story. My dog was in a lot of pain in spite of a strong does of pain meds. :(

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X