Calling all math people!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all math people!

Ok I need some help with my college algebra. The first problem I have to put the final equations or lines in both slope-intercept form and standard form.

The problem is: Find the slope and the right the equation of the lines in both slope-intercept form through the points of (-2,3) and (7,-3).

Call me dumb but im lost here. Anyone got any help?
    1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Re: Calling all math people!

F%#king math bull$hit

There's no free-tutor/study sessions at your college?
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
      F%#king math bull$hit

There's no free-tutor/study sessions at your college?
      They give me the answers and I want to know how to do this bull$hit.
      1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenowner
        The problem is: Find the slope and the right the equation of the lines in both slope-intercept form through the points of (-2,3) and (7,-3).
        m = delta(y) / delta(x)

m = [3 - (-3)]/[(-2) - 7] = -6/9 = -2/3

* forgot the negative sign.
        Last edited by IICODECll; 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

y= -6/9x+b then plug in a point to get y int. -3= -2/3(7)+b -4.66+b= -3 so then b = 5/3 final equation is y= -2/3x + 5/3 i could be wrong its been about 3 years so double check that
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Im still soo lost, thanks guys lol.

Comment

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) its been a while for me too, but for some reason thats an equation ive always remembered.
              (3+3)/(-2 -7)
              6/-9
              = -2/3
              2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
              2006 S60- Sold
              2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

I just got a headache from reading that crap.
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Ok now I get this crap. Thanks guys!

Comment

Oh god how I wish I was still doing this math. Enjoy it, and hope your major doesn't involve higher math.
                    <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Okay standard equation for a line is..

Y=mx+b

Y=the second number in your coordinates (x,y)
                      M=the slope of the line
                      X=the first number in coordinates(x,y)
                      B=the Y intercept or where the line crosses the Y axis (vertical line)

So you have the points (-2,3) and (7,-3) and you know that the M (the slope) and B (the Y intercept) are the same.

First find the slope. You can find it by taking the rise over run. So from (-2,3) and (7,-3) it rises -6 and runs 9. -6/9= -2/3 = M

Next, plug M and one set of coordinates into the formula Y=mx+b. So, 3= (-2/3*-2)+b Now solve for "b".
                      Take -2/3*-2= 4/3 3=4/3+b
                      Subtract 4/3 from 3 to get 5/3 5/3=b

Answer is Y=-2/3x+5/3

Hope this helps. If not I would just go talk to your teacher.
                      -Travis-<br /><br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro-stock<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763509\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763509</a>

Comment

Damn just read your post saying that you understand now. Well, that was a waste of time for me than.
                        -Travis-<br /><br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro-stock<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763509\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763509</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000
                          Oh god how I wish I was still doing this math. Enjoy it, and hope your major doesn't involve higher math.
                          Yeah really, calc II ftl
                          Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by huggercamaro99
                            Damn just read your post saying that you understand now. Well, that was a waste of time for me than.
                            good practice.

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenowner
                              good practice.
                              Yeah, but I'm all done with my math classes. So no need.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                                Low Voltage
                                by Vladimir Gecko
                                I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                                20 minutes ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                5 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X