Never thought I would be making one of these posts - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never thought I would be making one of these posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never thought I would be making one of these posts

I didnt intend this to be this long so I put cliff notes at the bottom.

One of my friends sisters was getting married. I was going with my buddy and he asked if I would drive. I didn't really think anything of it. It was an hour and a half away though so it was a bit of a trip. We were almost at the place but we had to make a u-turn because it was on the opposite side of the highway. I was following my gps and it told me to take one on the left side (we were on a two lane highway) and I accidentally passed it. I ended up stopped at a red light with cars in front and to the right of me. My gps recalculated and told me to take one on the right side this time. I was able to cut over after the light changed but the highway went from two to three lanes. I was going from the middle to the far right when an suv came flying up trying to pass everyone. I swerved back into the center lane and waited for the suv to pass me or slow down and let me in. For some reason it did neither. It just hung next to me. Eventually it slowed down and let me in. Unfortunately they did it right as the turn was approaching that I needed to take. Instead of just passing it and going for the next one I panicked. I attempted to take the turn way to fast and ended up sliding into a curb.

My Front driver side tire ended up pushed back pretty far into my fender well. The car was definitely not drivable so I had it towed to a nearby dealership. It was around 9 on a Saturday and they were closed so my car ended up in a lot next to it. It had to stay there until Monday morning when the place opened back up.

Monday morning I called and told them what happened. They said someone would go look at it and call me back with and estimate. Four hours later with still no call back I called and told them I was going to come by and drop off they keys so they can at least move it when they needed to. Drove down talked to the body shop. The guy told me he had walked past it and it seemed like it was just suspension work. I told him I didnt care about cosmetics at the moment and just wanted to drive it home. He told me to talk to the service department because they could get it done quicker. I went, filled out a ticket, and came back home. On my way home I got a call from service saying it was too damaged for them to work on. They transfered me back to the bodyshop and they told me they would get me an estimate by the end of the night or next morning.

Well today I called twice. The first call got nowhere. The second call gave me all the bad news I didn't want to hear. The car is STILL in the lot next to the dealership. The good news is someone went and took a look. They are saying the engine cradle is bent so its going to be at least $4000-$5000 and thats not even telling what else would be wrong after they get it on a lift.

I'm getting the car towed back home tomorrow. I'm hoping by some act of god this bodyshop is a bunch of idiots and its not as bad as they say. Chances are it will be and sadly I will have to part her out. I'm pretty much destroyed. I loved this car and I will not feel right until i have another one in my driveway.

Heres the cliff notes because I know I dragged this out:
    Driving to a wedding an hour and a half away I tried to take a turn to fast and hit a curb. Had the car towed to a dealership and got ****ed around for 3 days until they finally said the engine cradle is bent and its will probably cost me over $4000-$5000.

This is the only picture I have until my buddy finds his cable for his camera.

Re: Never thought I would be making one of these posts

Ouch, thats too bad, hopefully its not as bad as they think
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

engine cradle? are they joking, our motors dont rest on cradles like FWD cars.

Comment

i could see boken sway bar, tie rod, maybe shock, bent A-Arm....but thats about it

Comment

Maybe they were referring to the K - Member
          *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

if they called the K memeber that, i wouldnt have my work done there, but it is possible thats what they are refering to, even still, you can get an aftermarket light weight K for like 3-400, and installed for less than 4-500

Comment

Honestly I don't know if I believe these guys. It took them three days to even go look at the car. Not to mention I was with my buddy who is a mechanic when i crashed it and he said it didn't look too bad. Plus the two guys who came to pick us up along with the tow truck driver all knew their stuff and everyone pretty much agreed that it looked fixable. The only problem is there wasn't much light where it happened so we couldn't really see.

The only reason I didn't have it towed home first was because I figured it wouldn't be worth the towing fees plus the money in parts to fix it. I was hoping it would just be a few things and I could drive it home and fix the cosmetics later.

All I do know is I cant wait to at least have her back and start tearing her apart. I didn't realize how much I loved this car until this happened. I had plans for saving up for a ws6 and keeping this as my daily driver but well.... yeah...

Comment

dang man, sorry to hear it. Hopefully it's fixable and you can get your baby back on the road soon!
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Get the key back from them.

Don't let those crooks touch it.

Get it towed home.

Comment

awwwww man, don't you dare start a new train of events. i will hunt you down and kill you if others start to crash
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Good news. The car is back home finally. I started talking her apart today and it seems like the dealership was 100% full of themselves. The K-member is pretty scratched and dented but not even close to 'ripped off' as they claimed. The lower control arm has definitely seen better days. I'm probably gonna need a new tie rod and definitely the sway bar linkage. I thought I could use new shocks before this accident even happened so nows a good time to replace them as well. We can also tell the hood shifted quite a bit from the impact so that gotta get realigned. She shouldn't need much more then that besides cosmetics. I think now would be a good time to get some Torque Thrust II's on there.

What kills me is the fact that you couldn't even see any of this with the car on the ground and the stupid dealership tried to tell me it was going to cost that much without even putting a jack under it. I'm going to try to get this fixed as quick as possible and go back up there and see if they can reimburse me for the tow I had to get it there. They did nothing but waste my time and tell me stuff that wasn't even true.

There are some high res pics here if you feel like looking through them. If anyone can explain how the hole got there in pics 1878/1879 (its right behind the fuse box if you cant tell) id be interested in knowing. It looks like it rusted through but I don't see how water could just sit on that point.

Anyhow, looks like my baby will live to see another day.

Comment

yea, doesnt look like the end of the world, no where near 4-5K.

Comment

Originally posted by '97RedBird

What kills me is the fact that you couldn't even see any of this with the car on the ground and the stupid dealership tried to tell me it was going to cost that much without even putting a jack under it. I'm going to try to get this fixed as quick as possible and go back up there and see if they can reimburse me for the tow I had to get it there. They did nothing but waste my time and tell me stuff that wasn't even true.
                          Some (not all) delearships I have gone to hire very low end brain dead people, because they want them to follow the service manual only. They don't like to pay top end for mechanics. Maybe this is was the case with your stealershipj?

Originally posted by '97RedBird
                          Anyhow, looks like my baby will live to see another day.
                          Great to here! Good luck. :tup:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

I swaped my 3.8 for a lt1 1 i still have the sub frame lower and upper contol arms and i thintk spindlees if you need them

Comment

just saw the pics looks like it waffaled the lower are may have twisted the k frame and the spindle . It's really hard to tell what all is out of wack without putting it on an alignment rack after repalcing the arm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X