why people think our cars sound ricey - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why people think our cars sound ricey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why people think our cars sound ricey

So I got pretty bored today before work...

I've been thinking... people always give us flack for our cars sounding "ricey" or like imports... I realize that most souped up imports are either I4's I6's or V6s, and most fast American cars are V8s. Our cars are in fact V6s, and I think the fact people think our cars sound ricey is due to the fact that most other V6 cars that have been worked on are imports. I have short tube headers and a carsound cat and 3" catback to a summit turbo muffler and I know my car sounds more like an import than a muscle car, but it's because it's a v6.

Also, IMO Flowmaster sucks on a V6. The harmonization that a V8 engine has is not present in a V6 and that is why the resulting resonated sound out of the 80-series sounds like crap. Our engines are noisy by nature as they lack the harmony produced by a V8's A v8 has an even number of firings per rotation (four, since a firing only happens every other time the piston reaches the top of the cylinder), whereas a V6 has an odd number, which doesn't produce acoustic harmony.

Just an idea I've been thinking about for a while. I personally would rather have a muffler that cancels out the high pitched noise instead of something like a flowmaster that uses harmonics and whatnot to cancel certain sounds out. Turbo mufflers ftw
    \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Re: why people think our cars sound ricey

I disagree with the fact most v6 cars modded are ricers. Maybe you didn't read the thread with the GNX in it. I never have anyone say my car sounds ricey and I love my flows. some ask if its a v8, but never any car guys. Most of them say they know it a v6, but they say it still sounds good. SO I am happy with the sound of my car and its compariable to the sound my 80 malibu with a 350. Once again, I don't have the cat back but only the muffler... so maybe theres a big difference
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Why is this in the Lounge instead of in the Exhaust Section?

/OCD

Our cars dont sound ricey, they sound raspy. There is no way around it. Some exhaust companies sound better/worse than others, but in the end, at high RPM's they sound raspy. If you have a lopey cam it will sound better too, but again, high RPM's and it will be raspy.
      sigpic
      1997 Camaro RS A4
      2006 Chevy Colorado
      2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Yeah, the catback has that resonator built in. I was just saying that a V8 harmonizes and a V6 doesn't.

My bad, should've pusted it there but I figured it was somewhat irrelevant since it was more of a random thought and not a question or a solution.
        \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X