Requesting assistance from 98-02 camaro owners - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting assistance from 98-02 camaro owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting assistance from 98-02 camaro owners

So, we know I have/ had a 97 bird.

I know the 98+ v6 f bodies benifited from aluminum brake calipers etc (nice weight saving over my heavy @ss iron ones).

I have heard/ seen 98+ ls1 owner's have plastic fuel tanks instead of metal.

I'm not sure if this is also in the v6 f bodies.

If you own a 98-02 v6 camaro.... could you look under your car... and tell me if you have a metal or plastic gas tank? The weight savings are around 15 lbs.

I figure.... if I was to do it again.... I want the quickest and lightest v6 f body to start with.

I am guessing that it would be an auto 00-02 v6 camaro, hard top, power windows, cloth interior.

I would like to expand my options to maybe 98 and 99's.

I know the manual tranny is lighter than the auto.... but w/ my knees.... no manual for me.

Any help is much appreciated :)
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Re: Requesting assistance from 98-02 camaro owners

I got a 2000 and just checked mine. The magnet is sticking unfortuneately, but that would be a good weight savings mod.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

i know my 98 is metal, but ive heard newer v6's were plastic as well. but i think all ls1 cars were plastic.
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

My 2000 (looks/feels/ sounds when you tap it) like black plastic but I dont have a magnet to check it out.

Comment

My 1999 has a plastic tank. There's a heat sheild covering it, but I got a magnet to it.... no sticking. If I'm not mistaken, the plastic tanks are the 16.8 gallon tanks.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

In the rare chance that the tank is aluminum, a magnet wouldn't stick to it, but I can't imagine it being made of aluminum.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird
            2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
              In the rare chance that the tank is aluminum, a magnet wouldn't stick to it, but I can't imagine it being made of aluminum.
              No, calipers are aluminum. Tank is either metal or plastic. I would go out and check the tank in my car but it's HOT as heII outside! Just don't feel like leaving my chilled room. But i'll find out later for you. BTW, it's great to hear that you (James) are still in the f-body game. You'll get all of our support without a doubt. Good Luck!

:)
              Last edited by kala; 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM.
              09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
              sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
                My 1999 has a plastic tank. There's a heat sheild covering it, but I got a magnet to it.... no sticking. If I'm not mistaken, the plastic tanks are the 16.8 gallon tanks.
                yep, gotta get around that HUGE heat shield back there. dont mistake the heat shield for the tank.

the other ones are 15.5 i belive.
                1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I have read and been told that the 99+ cars are the plastic tank cars, but also the tank is larger as well.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                    I have read and been told that the 99+ cars are the plastic tank cars, but also the tank is larger as well.
                    true on both accounts. The 99+'s came with 16.8 gallon plastic tank

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                      yep, gotta get around that HUGE heat shield back there. dont mistake the heat shield for the tank.

the other ones are 15.5 i belive.
                      Damn your right, I din't feel like crawling that far under the car, but it be plastic.
                      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

I am pretty sure iits plastic...

my car with low fuel, no spare came in at 3270... when it was still a hardtop.

and to be honest I don't think there is really much of a difference in weight savings between glass/hardtop. This is coming from someone who has taken all the stuff off, and put t-tops on.

And as for structural integrity... All the support is the center bar. There is metal in betwen but its held on with a few spot welds, and that extra metal probably weighs as much if not more then the t-tops.

These are 4th gens, not 3rd gens...

not that you won't find plenty of hardtops for cheaper, I just know if you are going ls1, hardtops are a bit harder to find.

As for 5-speed to auto... the 5-speed is a ton lighter then an auto, but if you are talking about serious racing... get an auto.

I am considering picking up a spare just for when I kill my second 5-speed in my 2k, and I don't even race it, just drive spiritedly around town.

Comment

98 ls1's had metal
                          99-02ls1's had the plastic

and you probally have this list memorized but in the of chance you dont, http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17319
                          2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

Plastic. 16.8 gallons.
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

i know that mine is plastic. didn't hurt to bad when it feel on me!
                              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X