Not Sound Science; Washington Post Staff - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Sound Science; Washington Post Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Sound Science; Washington Post Staff

Stereotypes of Quiet Men, Chatty Women Not Sound Science

By David Brown
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, July 6, 2007; A02

Across time and culture, the female predilection for chattiness and the male penchant for taciturnity have approached the status of unarguable facts. Now, two studies appear to bury these age-old stereotypes.

One recorded nearly 400 college students for days and found that members of each sex uttered virtually the same number of words. :poke:

"Wherever this really persistent stereotype comes from, we do not find evidence to support it," said Matthias R. Mehl, a psychologist at the University of Arizona whose paper is published today in Science.

The second, an analysis of 63 studies of gender differences in talkativeness, found that men actually yakked slightly more than women, especially when interacting with spouses or strangers, and when the topic of conversation was non-personal.

Although, overall, "the magnitude of the difference was negligible," said Campbell Leaper, a psychologist at the University of California at Santa Cruz, the findings suggest that " some men may be using talkativeness to dominate the conversation."

His study will appear in a forthcoming issue of Personality and Social Psychology Review.

Female garrulousness is ensconced in jokes, literature and even law. In Colonial America when gossiping was punishable with the "ducking stool," women were the more common victims. The idea appeared to gain scientific authority with the publication last year of Louann Brizendine's best-selling book "The Female Brain," which asserted -- without citing data -- that women utter about 20,000 words a day and men about 7,000.

Despite the popular view, few studies have found significant differences between the sexes in overall verbosity, although women and men (and boys and girls) do diverge in some notable situations.

The studies that Mehl and his colleagues analyzed were done among six groups of college students -- five in the United States, one in Mexico -- who wore digital sound recorders during their waking hours for two to 10 days.

Every 12 1/2 minutes, the machines turned on and recorded 30 seconds of sound. The researchers counted the number of words captured and extrapolated the sample to the whole day.

Women spoke an average of 16,215 words and men 15,669 words during an average of 17 waking hours a day. The difference -- just under 550 words -- was not statistically significant.

The researchers checked to see if there was a trend for the most loquacious individuals to be women. There was not. Of the most talkative 15 percent, half were women and half men. In three of the six samples, the single most talkative person was a man.

What was striking, Mehl said, was the great range of word use. The most was 47,000 words in a day; the least was 700.

Because the talkers were all college students on roughly similar schedules, their word use may not be the same as that of people in other age groups. But the consistency of the results suggests that there is no innate difference in verbosity between the sexes -- at any age.

Re: Not Sound Science; Washington Post Staff

It's only when a woman is angry at a man that the man shuts up, and the woman goes on a talking spree.

I once read an article that asserted that women and men evolved to talk more or less. Men, being the hunters, had to learn how to talk less and communicate silently, otherwise they'd scare the animals off. Women, on the other hand, stayed back at the camp or wherever they were living, and to defend themselves from predators or other humans, they'd talk a lot more because the sound would drive away enemies (thinking there were a lot more people in the camp then there actually were).
    \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

i'll be the first to admit i talk alot, but the thing is, women dont understand WHEN to shaddup. i know that if a sweet guitar solo comes on the radio and my friends are there, everybody shuts the hell up until its done. when the ball is snapped, you dont talk to someone who's facing the tv until the play is whistled down. and as far as i'm concerned, after sex, i'll do you a favor and cuddle but come on, wouldja just lemme go to sleep please?
      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
        i'll be the first to admit i talk alot, but the thing is, women dont understand WHEN to shaddup. i know that if a sweet guitar solo comes on the radio and my friends are there, everybody shuts the hell up until its done. when the ball is snapped, you dont talk to someone who's facing the tv until the play is whistled down. and as far as i'm concerned, after sex, i'll do you a favor and cuddle but come on, wouldja just lemme go to sleep please?
        Brilliant!:bowdown:

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
          and as far as i'm concerned, after sex, i'll do you a favor and cuddle but come on, wouldja just lemme go to sleep please?
          THANK YOU!!! Bout time someone said it. Personally, im tired, id rather lay in it than go take a shower and brush my teeth again, and do dishes, and watch TV after sex. I just want sleep.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird
          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X