Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Ted Nugent

The Summer of Drugs
    Forty years ago, dirty, stinky hippies converged on San Francisco to "turn on, tune in and drop out."

BY TED NUGENT
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

This summer marks the 40th anniversary of the so-called Summer of Love. Honest and intelligent people will remember it for what it really was: the Summer of Drugs.

Forty years ago hordes of stoned, dirty, stinky hippies converged on San Francisco to "turn on, tune in, and drop out," which was the calling card of LSD proponent Timothy Leary. Turned off by the work ethic and productive American Dream values of their parents, hippies instead opted for a cowardly, irresponsible lifestyle of random sex, life-destroying drugs and mostly soulless rock music that flourished in San Francisco.

The Summer of Drugs climaxed with the Monterey Pop Festival which included some truly virtuoso musical talents such as Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, both of whom would be dead a couple of years later due to drug abuse. Other musical geniuses such as Jim Morrison and Mama Cass would also be dead due to drugs within a few short years. The bodies of chemical-infested, brain-dead liberal deniers continue to stack up like cordwood.

As a diehard musician, I terribly miss these very talented people who squandered God's gifts in favor of poison and the joke of hipness. I often wonder what musical peaks they could have climbed had they not gagged to death on their own vomit. Their choice of dope over quality of life, musical talent and meaningful relationships with loved ones can only be categorized as despicably selfish.

I literally had to step over stoned, drooling fans, band mates, concert promoters and staff to pursue my musical American Dream throughout the 1960s and 1970s. I flushed more dope and cocaine down backstage toilets than I care to remember. In utter frustration I was even forced to punch my way through violent dopers on occasion. So much for peace and love. The DEA should make me an honorary officer.

I was forced to fire band members and business associates due to mindless, dangerous, illegal drug use. Clean and sober for 59 years, I am still rocking my brains out and approaching my 6,000th concert. Clean and sober is the real party.

Young people make mistakes. I've made my share, but none that involved placing my life or the lives of others at risk because of dope. I saw first-hand too many destroyed lives and wrecked families to ever want to drool and vomit on myself and call that a good time. I put my heart and soul into creating the best music I possibly could and I went hunting instead. My dream continues with ferocity, thank you.

The 1960s, a generation that wanted to hold hands, give peace a chance, smoke dope and change the world, changed it all right: for the worse. America is still suffering the horrible consequences of hippies who thought utopia could be found in joints and intentional disconnect.

A quick study of social statistics before and after the 1960s is quite telling. The rising rates of divorce, high school drop outs, drug use, abortion, sexual diseases and crime, not to mention the exponential expansion of government and taxes, is dramatic. The "if it feels good, do it" lifestyle born of the 1960s has proved to be destructive and deadly.

So now, 40 years later, there are actually people who want to celebrate the anniversary of the Summer of Drugs. Hippies are once again descending on ultra-liberal San Francisco--a city that once wanted to give shopping carts to the homeless--to celebrate and try to remember their dopey days of youth when so many of their musical heroes and friends long ago assumed room temperature by "partying" themselves to death. Nice.

While I salute and commend the political and cultural activism of the 1960s that fueled the civil rights movement, other than that, the decade is barren of any positive cultural or social impact. Honest people will remember 1967 for what is truly was.

There is a saying that if you can remember the 1960s, you were not there. I was there and remember the decade in vivid, ugly detail. I remember its toxic underbelly excess because I was caught in the vortex of the music revolution that was sweeping the country, and because my radar was fine-tuned thanks to a clean and sober lifestyle.

Death due to drugs and the social carnage heaped upon America by hippies is nothing to celebrate. That is a fool's game, but it is quite apparent some burned-out hippies never learn.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Re: I agree with Ted Nugent

True dat, true dat....too young to have been there but all of his points amazingly make sense.

Comment

amen nuge... amen

btw... i've heard his concerts are b/a... i guess he rode out on an elephant one time, and later on he had a mannequin of osama pop out onstage that he destroyed by shooting like 20 arrows at...
      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom

btw... i've heard his concerts are b/a... i guess he rode out on an elephant one time, and later on he had a mannequin of osama pop out onstage that he destroyed by shooting like 20 arrows at...
        He opened for KISS on their farewell tour in 2000. He was pretty good but nothing over the top.
        Originally posted by kala
        I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
        parting her out

Comment

As someone who was there, I won't grace this tome with logic.
          Nugent's music and talent speak for themselves, however. Stranglehold. Riding elephants. Who needs drugs, indeed?
          Shoots a good crossbow, tho...

Comment

Is Ted "****ING" Nugent shunning the lifestyles of Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison??? Get the hell outta here. If Ted Nugent was such a great musician, I could see him saying something, but he had TWO DECENT songs. Jimi Hendrix is quite possibly the greatest guitar player who ever lived, and Jim Morrison's act in Miami basically coined the phrase "Rock out with your **** out". Ted Nugent should shut his c***hole and make legendary music, unlike the so so crap he had.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird
            2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
              Is Ted "****ING" Nugent shunning the lifestyles of Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison??? Get the hell outta here. If Ted Nugent was such a great musician, I could see him saying something, but he had TWO DECENT songs. Jimi Hendrix is quite possibly the greatest guitar player who ever lived, and Jim Morrison's act in Miami basically coined the phrase "Rock out with your **** out". Ted Nugent should shut his c***hole and make legendary music, unlike the so so crap he had.
              Yeah, I never thought to much of the nuge, especially now. Can he not realize that those drugs made a lot of that music the way it is?

I could argue this subject for days on end and could type pages upon pages worth of rebuttals, but it won't change anybody's stubborn *** mind.
              Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

So this is like the 3rd thing I have read in the last month talking about SF and the so-called summer of love in '67.
                It's funny how things get romantacized years later. Most of what I read about Haight Ashbury speaks about kids showing up and being taken advantage of. Numerous nighty overdoses. Kids being put in straight jackets for days on end due to a bad trip, rampant disease, destruction of lives, the explosion of crystal meth, rape, sociopaths taking young drugged kids under their wing and the overall decline of an area that has never recovered.

But for those that never made it out to cali in 67 and sat in the shelter of their parents homes and dreamed of being "free". I'm sure something like this celebration would be a great way to draw MORE tourists to SF and a few people might make a buck off the nostalgia.

While I don't particularly care for "ted the musician" or "ted the political pundit" I have to agree with certain parts of his statement.
                -Brad
                98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X