Cheapest way to learn manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest way to learn manual?

So, I have always driven an automatic, and would like to be able to drive a manual. What would you guys suggest is the best way to learn, given that I don't have money to buy a 'practice car'? Any thoughts? I drove a manual once or twice a few years ago, but I want to get better at it than "Well, I didn't kill anyone." The manual I drove before was a new Toyota MR2 convertible, and there wasn't any grinding or anything scary like that. Go get a rental car for a few days? Test drive cars from a dealership? Find one of you in the Salt Lake City area? :p Thanks.

-Justin

Re: Cheapest way to learn manual?

Ask one of ur friends to let learn how to drive stick in their car or if that doesnt work tell them that you'll give them some money,thats what I did...worked out well i just gave my friend 100 bucks!!!

Comment

i think you have to be 25 in most places to rent a car.. Yeah, just borrow a friends car to learn. Although i always drive autos, we've got 2 manuals in the family, and i test drove a few camaros with manuals when i was shopping. I am by no means good at manual, but if i ever need to, i can.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Have someone in the family buy a manual car. Then practice with that one. Not even 6 months ago, as i was learning 5spd, i used to stall my dads Mazda on every stop sign. Now I am really good. It's pretty easy when you get a hang of it. While learning, I found the best way to not stall the car is to "play it safe" by revving the engine higher. If not, then as a new driver you'll stall it everywhere.

Here's what I my dad) got: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=74068 We payed 5000 out the door. This car can run neck and neck or faster than my camaro. Very smooth and fast. Drives like butter. BTW, disregard all my comments about selling my camaro. I WILL not sell my camaro .........EVER :banana:

:)
        Last edited by kala; 06-30-2007, 11:49 PM.
        09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
        sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Its second nature after a few weeks. My first time wasn't too bad... I just rode the clutch alot and stalled twice. After awhile, you don't even notice that you are shifting like a king.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

any manual car will do...learn one, and you've learned them all

Comment

get a manual car and drive it...

most places you have to be 25 to rent car, and even if you could, it will be hard to find a manual car to rent.... Might be able to get a GT-H mustang threough hertz, but not even sure if those are manuals.

Comment

it came naturally for me (however, I've been driving cycles for most my life) although there is a difference when driving stick trucks vs stick cars...

It's easiest if you drive it hard i've found
                1999 Camaro Z/28
                1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Go to the dealer, some will teach you to drive a manual. Show interest in buying a manual. lol
                  Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                    get a manual car and drive it...

most places you have to be 25 to rent car, and even if you could, it will be hard to find a manual car to rent.... Might be able to get a GT-H mustang threough hertz, but not even sure if those are manuals.
                    Seconded. Unless you get a rent-a-racer then you'll have an auto. Find a friend with a manual who's willing to teach you.. assuming you have one. In cali i knew tons of peeps with stick shifts, but in MA nobody's got one.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                    i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                    R.I.P. '07 Pats
                    Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Just steal one, and go joy riding for a bit. Just make sure you have a good idea of how it works before the police chase. You'll get the hang of it quick when the chase starts. Best teacher in the world is necessity.

Rob
                      \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Yep, even the GT-H is auto.

To rent common manual cars take a trip to Europe. Most rental cars there are stick, last time I went (2001) you still had to specifiy that you wanted an automatic. Not that I ever did...
                        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

i learned in fully loaded one ton dump truck with a wood chipper in tow :omg: :omg:
                          www.turbov6camaro.com
                          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

All you need is a little motivation. I bought my first manual 5-6 years ago. The day I bought it I wanted to go meet up with my friends and this girl I thought was really hott. Because it was my only car I pretty much taught myself on the way over to her house so as not to look and feel like a dumb*ss driving her around all night. Good luck!

Comment

The cheapest possible way to learn is to test-drive a vehicle from a dealership.

Used car dealerships are more likely to let you drive without a salesman accompanying you, so try one of those. Also, bring an older person with you, like your dad or uncle, so they feel less concerned about it. Dress somewhat nicely as well.

I've already done this, test-drove a V6 Probe for...longer than usual :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X