speedometer vs. tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer vs. tire size

Okay...long story short, I got a major speeding ticket and want to explain to the judge how my speedo's way off so i didn't think I was speeding.
    But there's a problem with my story...
    I've got 16 inch American Racing rims with 245/50r16's wrapped around em'.
    Aren't the stockers 245/55r16's? In which case the tires i've got on there now are actually shorter than the stockers right?
    Which means the car moves less with each revolution of the wheel.
    Which means that I'm actually going slower than my speedometer says.
    Which means that when I got a speeding ticket for 87mph in a 45mph zone, my speedometer would have said even more than 87mph...but i don't know because I concentrate on the road when I'm speeding ;)
    So I don't really have a question I just want someone to correct my if any of that information is wrong so I don't look like an idiot in front of the judge
    BTW I already know I'm gonna lose my license over this crap and I probably should but it's worth a short right??? haha thanks in advance for tire info
    94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
    97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
    98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Re: speedometer vs. tire size

Honestly your wasting your time trying to use the size difference of the tire to get out of the ticket. Your best bet would be to hire a lawyer and try to get the charge reduced to something less than reckless operation.
    Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

ok..so your speedo read about 88.7 when you got clocked for 87...

the stock size on z28s is 245/50/16 the stock v6 was either 215/60 or 235/55 which are both the same amount smaller than a 245/50

i have no idea what your getting at here..according to your speedometer, you were going faster than what the ticket says..how is that in your favor?
      Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 06-26-2007, 12:23 AM.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Yea, i'm pretty sur Schlotzky is right. Seems to me if you had 275/60's on there and in that case is the speedo is like, 70mph but you were really doing 80. In which case the speedo diff isn't that much, nowhere NEAR 30mph. You were so far above the limit I think you're basically screwed. bummer man

Comment

GET A LAWYER! Your argument is folly, don't even try that with the judge he will not be amused. You were going way to far over the limit to plead no adjudication. I don't even know if a lawyer could get you off but it would be worth the try. How many other tickets have you had and over what timeframe?
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

lol your logic will never work

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

The difference in tire size is only 1-3 mph

Your best bet is to show up in court and ask for it to be deferred or reduced.
              Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

I wish I had teh intersnet in my room, then I could hop in the chat room & read as you hide in room as the cops drive by looking for you to arrest you for even thinking up this defense.

While we caint help you w/your lost license, may I recommend purchasing a huffy or a schwinn w/whatever $$ you have left?
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

okay I know it's a stupid argument and I'm not actually gonna use it...but actually my brother got a speeding ticket dropped by saying the gears in his truck were changed from 3.73's to 3.08's for better gas mileage but that is definately a bigger difference then two very similar tire sizes. And yeah I know right now my argument is actually against my favor so I'm definately not going to tell the judge that my speedometer really says I'm going faster than I am. Thanks for the uh...constructive criticism guys haha
                  94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
                  97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
                  98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

If I were the judge and you brought that argument towards me, I'd just laugh at you.

Get ready for one of several responses that could come:

"Haha, you ****ing noob, calibrate your speedo"

"You know about it, therefore you should of factored the difference by yourself."

Etc. Its your fault.
                    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Be a man, take the hit, lesson learned.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X