V6 More Economical than V8 By How Much? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V6 More Economical than V8 By How Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 More Economical than V8 By How Much?

Hi guys...
    A little question from England for you.
    I'm thinking of buying a 4th Gen as a daily driver. Seen a real nice looking 3.8 V6 '99 Camaro, manual. Is it gonna be that much more economical than a LS1? Is the performance trade off worth it? This is bearing in mind that gas prices are currently around $7/gallon over here... That said, it's a small country and I probably do about 8k miles a year. And I have a hot '64 Falcon for the weekend ;-)
    Steve

Re: V6 More Economical than V8 By How Much?

Welcome aboard, Mate.
    Most definately worth it. You will appreciate the handing and sound, think old-school 6-banger Jags... You may feel the shifter is high-effort if not clunky vs Euro cars, but I like it.
    Should work for high speed work on the M1, also.
    Have you priced insurance for both?

Comment

Worth it as in getting a 4th gen? or the V8 over the V6?
      Insurance doesn't work out much different, as we get loaded because it's US, left hand drive etc... 3.8 to 5.7 not a lot of difference when everything else is a 2.0L. Would prefer a manual, little better economy and more fun in the twisty's ;-)
      Steve
      p.s. how do I change the "F-body owner" in my avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrospud
        how do I change the "F-body owner" in my avatar?
        I believe if you make a $10 donation to the site, you can change it. Other than that, it will change at certain points when you reach numbers of posts you've written.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

V6 is over the V8 re economy, but if yr insurance would be the same and yr trips are short, only purchase price might weigh in as a factor. V6 cars are torquey and quick in the American style if that is wot yr seeking...;)
          4th Gen is the only Fbody to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrospud
            Seen a real nice looking 3.8 V6 '99 Camaro, manual. Is it gonna be that much more economical than a LS1? Is the performance trade off worth it? This is bearing in mind that gas prices are currently around $7/gallon over here
            LS1's and the 3.8 have about the same MPG...if you leave the V6 stock, you can run 87 thru it and then you'll start to save money at the pump. Performance-wise, there is no comparison; the LS1 is exponentially more powerful in everyway...bottom-end, mid-range, and top-end, the LS1 wins by a large margin everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
              LS1's and the 3.8 have about the same MPG...if you leave the V6 stock, you can run 87 thru it and then you'll start to save money at the pump. Performance-wise, there is no comparison; the LS1 is exponentially more powerful in everyway...bottom-end, mid-range, and top-end, the LS1 wins by a large margin everytime.
              exactly,the only price difference is gas like he said, and insurance. and honestly, insurance might not even be a big difference.

drive both, the 3.8 is completely gut-less compaired to the ls1.
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                exactly,the only price difference is gas like he said, and insurance. and honestly, insurance might not even be a big difference.

drive both, the 3.8 is completely gut-less compaired to the ls1.
                You get 31mpg on the hyway with an LS1? Hows yr city mileage?!?

Comment

Originally posted by mloaks
                  You get 31mpg on the hyway with an LS1? Hows yr city mileage?!?
                  Amazing what a T56's with 3.42's can do

Comment

Well, I'll admit, I'm Amazed.
                    Get a V8, most definately.

Comment

If you can go with the LS1!!!!
                      Originally posted by kala
                      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                      parting her out

Comment

even more so with 2.73's.
                        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Every p***y and their mom wants an LS1. Id prefer the 3.8l over the LS1, because the CITY gas mileage is not comparable between the two. 3.8l will get more city MPG than an LS1, no doubt about that.

BTW, and not to get off topic, but did everyone forget that this is a V6 technical board?? Or are we here to support the LS1 technical?? How bout a little support.
                          1995 Pontiac Firebird
                          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

I would say get the v8, because my boyfriend has a trans am, and he gets just as good if not better milage than me, then again, it all depends on how hard you drive your car too ;) LOL

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                              even more so with 2.73's.
                              No, there are no M6 LS1's with 2.73's from the factory. The A4's with 2.73s dont get better gas mileage.

And to the OP, drive both and make the decision yourself. Usually nobody prefers their cars "sans testicleeze" so they opt for the engine with nearly double the power.
                              2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X