got a torque wrench but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a torque wrench but...

I just got a torque wrench in the mail that I had bought used online. Its only a Husky, 3/8" 100 ft-lb clicker, looks hardly used and came with the case.

I worry tho, cause there was oil all over it and kind of a puddle in the case. A friend told me thats good, that they are supposed to be stored with oil... but he is also the kind of person who thinks he knows alot more than he really does, and had more than a few beers in him to boot.

So what do you guys think, oiled on purpose or leaked out of the wrench? Is there even oil inside torque wrenches?

Re: got a torque wrench but...

oil is always good for tools, keeps them from rusting

Comment

its fine a puddle is excessive but a little oil is good

Comment

Speaking of torque wrenches...I really do need to break down and buy one, what brand/company do you all suggest? I thought about buying a Craftsman wrench from Sears, but after reading all the negative revues on their site, I've scratched them off my list.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMow
          Speaking of torque wrenches...I really do need to break down and buy one, what brand/company do you all suggest? I thought about buying a Craftsman wrench from Sears, but after reading all the negative revues on their site, I've scratched them off my list.
          Can't say without knowing your budget. Better brands than Craftsman (which I've had good luck with) cost more money.

A few things to know.

Clickers are moderately priced and convenient. They need to be recalibrated once in a while, and nobody does it.

Beams are hard to use because you need to be able to look at the pointer. But they're cheap and reliable, because they have no complex parts.

I like a dial with a max torque pointer, but they're expensive.

The condition of the bolt/threads is more important than the wrench. If the threads are old and corroded, or you use antiseize and the shop manual assumes you don't, the quality of your wrench means very little.

Here are a whole lot of them.

http://www.toolsource.com/torque-wrenches-c-315.html
          2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

all torque wrenches need recalibration. iirc, and I've been out of maintainence for a while, 6mos max between calibrations, and if you dropped a clicker type, send it to PMEL.
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by V6Bob
              Beams are hard to use because you need to be able to look at the pointer. But they're cheap and reliable, because they have no complex parts.
              I have a beam and sometimes (like when torquing to over 100), it's a beyotch to see the pointer.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

I've heard that you can take them to a sears service center and have them recalibrate them.
                Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

just get a snap on digital :)

Comment

i second the snap on

Comment

when I was torque wrench shopping

I was looking at Snap-On wrenches, I think if you wait it out you can nab a nice one on egay for around $80. There are many many different kinds over the years and often auctions don't give much info so you have to lookup the part # when its given.

Mac Tools is good too.

I was looking at buying a Craftsman when they were on sale before fathers day but a guy next to me at the case talked me out of it, said his broke on him after a year and there is a very short warranty on them thru sears (not the normal hand tool warranty)

Husky, believe it or not, seems to be rated pretty good from what I could gather poking around the internet. Brand new they are affordable, and I got a really good price on a used one... maybe because everyone else on egay is looking for snap-on or craftsman.

Here is a general hint for tools on ebay: There are 2 main sections where tools are listed, there are tools under Home & Garden, and tools under Ebay Motors. Be sure you're searching under both when you're looking for something.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X