Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 Sts

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-sts.html

First off, it's sexy. Secondly, how are they getting 298hp out of a 3.6? I want to know their secrets.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: '08 Sts

has a lot to do with direct injection which is the future of GM engines.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Wouldn't mind seeing that engine as a base for the Camaro.
      1995 Pontiac Firebird
      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
        Wouldn't mind seeing that engine as a base for the Camaro.
        Hells yea! Better than the stupid 3.9

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
        i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
        R.I.P. '07 Pats
        Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

what exactly is direct injection? I take it you couldn't do a conversion?
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

ugly ... damn caddies lol..good engine though i guess
            <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
              what exactly is direct injection? I take it you couldn't do a conversion?
              the fuel injector protrudes into the combustion chamber, in the same manner as a spark plug would. it increases combustion efficiencies by allowing very precise placement and more accurate timing of the fuel delivery.
              Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman1181
                the fuel injector protrudes into the combustion chamber, in the same manner as a spark plug would. it increases combustion efficiencies by allowing very precise placement and more accurate timing of the fuel delivery.
                2 things:
                1. i wonder why this is "new" technology... seems like it'd be a logical progression
                2. how the hell does mixing the fuel IN the chamber do anything for emissions/gas milage/performance? seems like just a different way of doing the same thing really..
                2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                  2 things:
                  1. i wonder why this is "new" technology... seems like it'd be a logical progression
                  2. how the hell does mixing the fuel IN the chamber do anything for emissions/gas milage/performance? seems like just a different way of doing the same thing really..
                  1. well, it's not entirely new technology.. its been used in deisel applications for a few years now (maybe more.. im not all that up on my deisel tech). However, its only been introduced in gas engines quite recently. one instance that pops into my head is the solstice/sky engine. I dont know if the base line engine has it, but the turbo charged engine uses these.

2. well, think of it this way. when you put a fuel injector in the intake runner, the fuel has to mix with the air, and then make the turn into the bowl of the runner, then around the valves, then into the combustion chamber. Granted, this helps mix the air and the fuel, but it is less than ideal. Also, to mount the injector in the intake runner, you have to sacrifice some efficiencies of the runner to move air, to allow for the injector and its spray (the reason there is a huge fin in the intake runners of the iron heads on 3.4L engines).

With direct injection, you only have to worry about moving air through the intake runner, so it can be optimized for this purpose. Since the injector is directly in the combustion chamber, it can be aimed to shoot the fuel vapor to exactly where it will be most efficient. And since the fuel has less distance to travel once it leaves the injector, fuel delivery timing can be more precisely controlled.

All these things aren't worth a 20% power increase by themselves (in most cases), but added together, they make a substantial difference.
                  Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

fitch injection has been using this technoogy in outbaords and jetski and snowmobiles for at least 12 years . when it runs it runs great but when it breaks i' a *itch to fix . i think the problem was that they installed it on 2 stroke motors with a lot higher vibration .

Comment

Originally posted by CHEVYINSIDE
                      fitch injection has been using this technoogy in outbaords and jetski and snowmobiles for at least 12 years . when it runs it runs great but when it breaks i' a *itch to fix . i think the problem was that they installed it on 2 stroke motors with a lot higher vibration .
                      actually, now that you mentioned it, i do recall this... if i remember correctly, they had issues due to the fact that its a two stroke, and traditionally, the oil to lubricate the 2 stroke is in the fuel. Teh piston moving up and down basically acts as the fuel pump and brings the fuel thru the engine and lubricates everything. With the direct injection, they had to figure out how to lubricate the rest of the engine, now that the fuel with the oil was no longer travelling thru it. havent they figured out most of the issues and gotten the reliability back??

Comment

i havent see to many companys using it anymore . i know polaris used it , kawi used it and seadoo i think . i know the vibration was tough on the electronics also . i remaber seeing the potting for ellectrical componets get desroyed when i worked at the kawi dealer. i theink fitch got oght out by seadoos parent company and it's used on johnson outboards now .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X