Almost died on the way to work today - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost died on the way to work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost died on the way to work today

I almost died!

All that has to be said is "rain," but here is the story.

I was driving right out of the toll getting off the New Jersey Turnpike to Route 18/1 North.

The road after the toll splits into two exits. 18/1 North to the right, and 18 South to the left.

I was going to take 18/1 North, when this little car decides he doesn't wanna go south, cuts in front of me while we're going into that turn. The road is already wet, nice and slick due to the rain.

Going into the turn, the little car cuts me off, I step on the breaks, but it was too wet, so I lost control of the car and I do a complete 180. Five cars just barely missed me. It was pretty much as scene out of a movie. I landed straight facing the direction of traffic right in the shoulder lane. (The thing that cops usually use to pass people.. and the wonderful ****s that love to pass you.) In all, I missed the guard rail by inches. :omg:

I got out followed by "AMEN..." :bowdown: looked at the car not a dent or scratch. In my infinite wisdom I was like alright, I can drive now, well I pull out and almost get hit by a truck.. so screw that. Waited for everyone to be gone with... and made it to work safely after the fact.

Lesson in the learning---Rip out the Open Diff and put in LSD.. something I've been meaning to do since I got the car.
    Last edited by IICODECll; 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM.

Re: Almost died on the way to work today

good to hear your okay..always a good excuse for mods..though i don't see why and LSD would help your braking..?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

LSD was a joke since as I understand the wheels tend not to slip as much as Open Diff's do.. I'm glad I'm okay too : ))

Comment

Tell me about it. Today morning, I woke up late and I was doing 75 in that rain. I was raining so hard, even with the wiper on full blast,I couldn't see anything. All the cars were doing 35-40 in the GSP parkway. I deff. think that lsd helps you. My current car has waaaay more traction than the open 96 camaro i had before. btw, Rain + Camaro = HeII

:)
        09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
        sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by kala
          Tell me about it. Today morning, I woke up late and I was doing 75 in that rain. I was raining so hard, even with the wiper on full blast,I couldn't see anything. All the cars were doing 35-40 in the GSP parkway. I deff. think that lsd helps you. My current car has waaaay more traction than the open 96 camaro i had before. btw, Rain + Camaro = HeII

I have a 1985 Berlinetta-Camaro. I can take that damn thing anywhere and I'll never have anything like what happened to the 1998 Firebird today. I wonder why too. The Berlinetta is also a 2.8l v6 as well, but I think it has 3.42 stock gears. Not sure about anything else though.

What area are you from Kala? I'm in the 150 - 160 range on the GSP. Not sure what exit anymore, but I'm about 5 miles away from one entrance.

Comment

^ LSD will definately save you next time. I use to have an 82' Z28 with no LSD and I lost control of it twice (once doing 2 360's in the middle of a 4 lane highway (rt. 81 in Pa.) and hitting the guardrail going backwards. The second time it was raining and the road was wet and going into a turn the rearend kicked out from behind me and I just missed an oncoming car as I spun around at about 60mph. Luckily, I lived to tell about it. I had the car for 6 years, but had to get rid of it, before it got rid of me. The LSD allows the car to kick back into the correct direction when the tires break loose. I'm still tramatized from those incidents and sometimes have bad dreams of my car breaking loose like that.. Glad to hear that it turned out well for you though. You're VERY lucky.
            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

LSD didn't save me on my wet corner but for that i blame my bald tires..
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by IICODECll
                What area are you from Kala? I'm in the 150 - 160 range on the GSP. Not sure what exit anymore, but I'm about 5 miles away from one entrance.
                I am from South Jersey. I mostly use exits 30 - 38 on GSP. Btw, now that I have put on z28 shocks, it seems my wet road handling even got better. I don't know why our cars handle the way they handle on rain. With my accord, I could make full speed turns in pouring rain and my car wouldn't slide one inch. I guess gm engineers fell asleep when they were designing our suspension system.

09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

mmm could be. like I said I never slipped or anything in my Berlinetta-Camaro. To think I was going to drive that to work. I should have.

Anyhow, hmm, now where to get all the stuff I need. muha. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by kala
                    I am from South Jersey. I mostly use exits 30 - 38 on GSP. Btw, now that I have put on z28 shocks, it seems my wet road handling even got better. I don't know why our cars handle the way they handle on rain. With my accord, I could make full speed turns in pouring rain and my car wouldn't slide one inch. I guess gm engineers fell asleep when they were designing our suspension system.

yeah, im the same way with my accord. but then again, its the extreme sleeper... i can floor it and no one knows!
                    maybe its because we ALL have bald tires..?
                    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                    2006 S60- Sold
                    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Originally posted by stevethepirate
                      .... maybe its because we ALL have bald tires..?
                      I hear that.:o

Comment

Glad to hear you and the car made it out alright. Get some new tires. A LSD isn't going to save you from what happened.

Comment

Have a 94 3.4L, no mods to the suspension that I know of. The car is definately squirrly in the rain. Cars that I drove before (Tarus and Jetta) had no problems, so when I started driving this thing I was a bit unprepared. I've taken corners a bit too fast on a couple occasions, or hit the gas too hard. Fortunately only results have been a little bit of drift and fishtail, but nothing serious.

Definately driving my car more carefully in the rain now...

Comment

somethign simmilar happened to me on saturday...in my beater though..took an unknown road and a sharp corner pped up i was goign fast and haha..well conchordes dont corner to well
                            <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

My 97 Camaro handles just fine in the rain now (new tires). Before I could break it loose by flooring it in 3rd at like 25MPH in the rain. New tires will really help all ya'll out :P Right now, I can't barely squeek 'em 'round a corner.
                              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                              A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X