My first speeding ticket, just some input needed. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first speeding ticket, just some input needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first speeding ticket, just some input needed.

I was on a 25 mph road behind a friend, I got up next to him and floored it to past him, I passed him within 5 seconds and I even had my blinker on. Then once I was in front of him I slowed down back to 25 mph and so did he. As I was passing him he got on the pedal a little bit too for some reason. Then as were both doing 25 again a cop rolls up, pulls us over, and claims us of racing each other. He kept going on and on about the fact that he could charge us with street racing and reckless op. And how he could throw us into jail and tow our cars. He let us off the "hook" with speeding tickets of 45 in a 25 and almost caused accident. He did not have a radar gun or anything.

This other kid has already had a ticket in the past for driving on the sidewalk from the front of our school parking lot to the rear parking lot. Now me, i'm clean, no tickets. Our courts dates were last friday but we called and re-scheduled because we both had exams that day. His court day is on the 8th and mines on the 12th. I turn 17 tomorrow and I think that'll help a lot for what's going to happen to me. I'm going to call my friend after his court date and see what happended to him, weather he got his license suspended or just had to take more classes w/more pts on his license.

What do you guys think will happen to me? Cop had no radar gun, the road doesn't even have lines, i've had a clean record for almost one year, I was back down to the speed limit within seconds. My dad doesn't really care because he thinks it's bs and he thinks we shouldn't need an attorney or lawyer for the whole thing.

EDIT: I even told the cop honestly if we were going to race it'd be from a standing point untill 100, not 25-45/50.
    Last edited by Ahmadi6490; 06-03-2007, 10:06 PM.

Re: My first speeding ticket, just some input needed.

Is it a manditory court date? I mean i don't know what the laws are in Ohio, but usually for speeding tickets you don't have to go to court so long as you pay the bail amount (unless you're going to fight it).

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
    i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
    R.I.P. '07 Pats
    Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

I can't speak for Ohio but in Tennessee, it's better to go to court. You pay a lesser fine if you are forced to pay it but the judge will ask how you plead to the charges and you can say NOT GUILTY and explain to the judge the situation from your point of view. The cop will then have his say. If the cop doesn't show up the judge will usually kick the case out completely. If you are found guilty, since it's your first offense and if they offer it, you'll probably be given traffic school and that will take the points off your license if you keep your nose clean for 12 months.

As I say, I can only speak from experience in Tennessee. It's always worth trying to fight the ticket in court for sure. Just make sure you have your story straight and be ready to counter what the cop says in court. You stammer if the judge asks you a direct question as if you are trying to cover something up, and he'll find you guilty and you simply pay the fine. Practice in front of a mirror the day before you go. Good luck!
      2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

It is mandatory since im a minor. I'm simply going to tell him I was doing about 35ish and passed another vehicle then within seconds slowed down to 25 mph. Road conditions were dry and there was hardly any traffic since its a business road. The road doesn't even have a line in the middle so idk if they can get me for anything. The cop didn't use a radar either, he used visual speed determination im guessing. Chanes are a little lower that the cop might not show because i've already re-scheduled it,

Comment

If you tell him that he'll probably ask you why you were overtaking your friends car anyway..

i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
          R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

I just thought it'd pass him because I knew him from school, idk maybe sort of a kick out of it. It wasen't anything dangerous, I mean the road could be a 3 lane road, it's pretty wide. I know it wasen't the smartest thing to pass him but I wasen't doing 45.

Comment

at your sig mark

Fight the ticket, he might not show

If he does, try and get it lowered to a lower charge, one that doesn't give you points, be honest and respectful, offer to take classes if necessary...

It will be worth the sacrifice to keep the points of your license
              1999 Camaro Z/28
              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
                at your sig mark

If he does, try and get it lowered to a lower charge, one that doesn't give you points, be honest and respectful, offer to take classes if necessary...

It will be worth the sacrifice to keep the points of your license

Yea, and do make sure you're respectful... don't be like this guy: http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/13941/

R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmadi6490
                  I just thought it'd pass him because I knew him from school, idk maybe sort of a kick out of it. It wasn't anything dangerous, I mean the road could be a 3 lane road, it's pretty wide. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to pass him but I wasn't doing 45.
                  You're 17, the cop caught you screwing around - I think you have little chance of fighting this one.

Go to court, tell them you're sorry/scared/learned your lesson, chances are they'll let you off light since you've got a clean record.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmadi6490
                    It is mandatory since im a minor. I'm simply going to tell him I was doing about 35ish and passed another vehicle then within seconds slowed down to 25 mph. Road conditions were dry and there was hardly any traffic since its a business road. The road doesn't even have a line in the middle so idk if they can get me for anything. The cop didn't use a radar either, he used visual speed determination im guessing. Chanes are a little lower that the cop might not show because i've already re-scheduled it,
                    If you tell him that, you will have already lost your case because you'll be admitting you were going 10MPH over the speed limit. I'd say as far as you know you never went above 25MPH and if the cop didn't have a radar gun, it's up to him to prove otherwise. In Tennessee, 1MPH over the speed limit will get you a ticket.
                    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

Yeah, if you plan on fighting it, don't even mention you know the other guy. Tell them the car in front of you was making a right turn, and changed his mind or something. Or driving all over the road and you didn't feel safe behind them. Don't tell them you just 'wanted' to pass a car that was doing the speed limit, they will point and laugh at you for that one.

Rob
                      \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS

great advice right here. be honest. don't make crap up - they have heard it all before. Do not say you knew the kid in front of you. Insist you were not trying to race, and they you'll be more mindful of the speed limit.

I've had 20+ tickets dropped to nothing. The key: respect.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
                          great advice right here. be honest. don't make crap up - they have heard it all before. Do not say you knew the kid in front of you. Insist you were not trying to race, and they you'll be more mindful of the speed limit.

I've had 20+ tickets dropped to nothing. The key: respect.
                          qft. Be respectful, be honest. Tell the judge you were passing, not racing by any means. Don't lie, because if you get caught up in it that will screw you over.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X