headache remedies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headache remedies?

So I get headaches/migraines on a regular basis. There are so many different causes, but most often they seem to be related to long days spent on campus (library/class), more than 1-2 hours staring at a computer screen, long and hot rides on public transportation, not eating or drinking enough...the list goes on. When I'm in the middle of a stressful semester I have a headache on average every 2 days.
    I played football for 10 years of my life and I sustained many helmet to helmet contact with at least a dozen concussions. That could be one reason. Vision is another, but I've had my eyes tested and I have better than perfect vision in both eyes so its not likely.
    Anyway, I'm pretty fed-up of enduring them and I've had no luck in avoiding them. So I'm asking you guys if you have any effective techniques or remedies to get rid of headaches? Thanks in advance!

Re: headache remedies?

having a steady eating pattern makes a huge diffrence...

if you dont eat enough you blood sugar drops... and you get headaches and stuff, thats what i got all summer when i worked outside all day.

eat right and get a low radiation moniter or somin

Comment

My family has a history of migraines and I know first hand that they can be killer. I've thrown up and such from them. The best thing I can tell you is to go to a doctor and they can prescribe you something. Otherwise the best thing to do are as follows....

Drink caffiene or coffee
      Take asperin
      Turn off the lights and find a dark place
      Take deep breaths and relax by lying down
      Rub your neck and head with your fingertips
      Turn on soft music or no sound at all

A few things that my doctor reccomended to me were as follows:

Find what causes the headaches...
      -Stress (physical or mental) = so relax and don't push yourself (breaks are key)
      -Sleep = Good sleep can make a huge difference... make sure you sleep good at night
      -Caffiene = can help cure or can cause... you must find which it is
      -Bright lights = stay away
      -Allergies = Try to keep healthy
      -Food = Some foods can cause headaches so drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruit
      Apples tend to be a great way to keep headaches away... Try one every morning with a glass of water

Don't ignore the headache signs
      -Stress will lead to a headache so remember to calm down
      -Healthy diet will help you so pay attention to everything you eat and how it will effect you
      -Sinus pain is a sign to take asperin quick
      -Pain relievers help but don't get the cheap kind (not as strong)
      -Don't ignore the headache but always think about it and know it can happen that way you will know when to take a break from study or work and know when you eat or not to eat something

Simple tricks that might work:
      -Grape juices help ease migraines
      -Jalapeno's help clear sinus headaches
      -Exercising will help the body with pain and reduce headaches
      -Peppermints
      -Candle scents
      -Lots of water
      -Deep breathing exercise
      -Ben-Gay on the neck
      -Tea (with sugar or without)
      Last edited by josh98bird; 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

drinking soda and such that has caffine in it is usually not a good idea unless your blood sugar is low.... all the sugar in it will make things 10X worse added in with the caffine...

try drinking water and cooling yourself down

Comment

My sister gets migranes all the time. Contrary to the above post, her perscription medicine contains a decent amount of caffine. The sugar might cause some problems, but the caffine helps. Either way, talk to your doctor and ask about perscription meds. She takes a medicine called "Esgic". It works wonders, I've had to use them a time or two. I've went from having the worst brain pain ever, feeling like I'm gonna barf (or having already barfed), and not being able to keep my eyes open in a dark room, to awake and fine 15 minutes later, eating and out in the sun. All after taking just 1 of those pills. I'm not reccomending that you take somebody elses perscription meds or anything, but you know how painful those migraines get. Ask your doctor about it, especially if they're that common.

My sis has what "they" call TMJ headaches, and she grinds her teeth in her sleep. So all that with the migraines too, se needed something. Go visit your doctor.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

My mom used to get them so bad she had to take these $50 shots in her arm everytime. I'm hoping your migraines arent that bad where they last days and you have to end up spending money like that on them.

I usually just take 5 ibuprofen and within an hour its gone.

Comment

"Advil Migrane"

Stress is the biggest thing that got me, I was diagnosed w/ migranes or some bs awhile back...none of the prescriptions helped, but the advil migrane did the trick
              1999 Camaro Z/28
              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

i was just reading a magazine today about headaches... and you know what they say helps them...

having sex.

there u go.

Comment

i would get migraines everynight, but these past few months have been better. i might only get them once a week. the only thing that i have changed is. @ 6;30am i get my 24 oz coffee. then i make sure to drink ALOT of water all day. no soda. i mean i put down about 144 0z on a easy day. if i'm out side (since it's nice out now, i'm out side all afternoon and night) i drink even more. yeah you will pee alot but keep you Hydrated. which is a big factor. i have found not one med that helps me. so i lose on that end. good luck dude

B.S

HEAD ON APPLIED DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD
                  Last edited by kristen; 05-22-2007, 08:15 AM.
                  WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I get migraines, have since middle school when I received a concussion.
                    With age I have found ways to prevent/help with them.

Your sustained concussions are possibly the root cause have you had recent CAT scans? Also the computer screen even with perfect vision causes strain on the eye that can also relate to migraines.

Now for the good stuff:
                    I take imitrex as a prescription in both shot and pill form the shots are faster acting. I used to get migraines that disabled me for 2-3 days at a time.

I also take advil when I feel one coming on.

If you catch the migraine before it is actually severe it is a lot eaiser to treat. Start medication/headache pills right away at the first signs.

Root causes? Nearly impossible to figure out without STRICT regime.

Mine has come down to caffeine being a major cause. I cut out caffeine and I don't get nearly the headaches.

I exercise regularly, take a decne multivitamin.

I also found out that creatine and any other blood flow altering supplement will almost definitely cause me a migraine as a migraine is triggered by rapid increased/decreased bloodflow to the head or something similar.

All in all see a doctor get a prescription, and determine the root cause because avoiding them is a million times better than trying to treat them.

Comment

everything above sounds good to me. I work in a pharmacy warehouse with a few Pharmacists...they all swear by the drug Imitrex. If you have to take it a step futher and go to a doctor about it, i would deffinetly check into it.

Comment

Originally posted by 02xcamaro
                        i was just reading a magazine today about headaches... and you know what they say helps them...

having sex.

there u go.
                        lol, i think that's a remedy i could live with...

gotta stay healthy!
                        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by 02xcamaro

having sex.

there u go.
                          April, you're a naughty-naughty girl!

Originally posted by kristen
                          I hate that commercial!!! Head on, apply directly to my di*k :mad:

:)
                          09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                          sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Originally posted by kala
                            April, you're a naughty-naughty girl!

I hate that commercial!!! Head on, apply directly to my di*k

:)
                            Does your di*k have a head ache ?
                            *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

honestly I think sex helps with just about any physical ailment...

this might work too...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X